46RE shifting issues.

celticwarlock

Reaction score
The 46RE in my Dodge van has developed a long 1-2 shift. It will not shift into 2nd unless I really baby the throttle. Curiously, if I have the gear selector in "2", it will not upshift into 2nd at all. Also, when it does go into 2nd, it downshifts too easily into 1st if I give it any meaningful amount of throttle. The fluid is pretty clean, and this unit has 271,000 miles on it. Nothing was messed with (TV cable, etc.), and it came seemingly out of nowhere. No trouble codes have been set, and I have maintained it quite well over the years. Any thoughts? I am fearing the worst.

I had the same problem in my 2000 ram 1500. Turned out the 2/3 band was broken and the drum was messed up. I hope this is not the case with yours, very expensive.

Did you have the exact same symptoms? It's odd that a hard part affecting the 2-3 shift would inhibit the 1-2 shift, but then, I am not well versed in transmissions.

Only way I could get it to shift from 1 to 2 was to accelerate to 1500 rpm and then back off the gas.

Back