56-62 California YOM (Year of Manufacture) Plates Question

Dan Scully

Reaction score
I had a set of yellow, black plates on a 61 car, sold the car to out of state buyer. Tried to get them transferred to a 62 I have. DMV says the plates are assigned to a 61 vehicle and cannot be transferred to anything other than another 61. You are required to have the year renewal sticker on the plate its going on 57,58, etc. I purchased a NOS 62 sticker for the plate for the 62 vehicle. Tried different DMV, s and got the same answer. Both vehicles are non-commercial just 4 dr sedans. The YOM plates go by era 56-62 63-69 etc. Cannot get a concrete answer on why I cannot transfer them to the 62, other than registered to a 61 vehicle. I guess I am missing something but do not see what? Thanks

As far as I know.
I think you should be OK with the 62 sticker for a 62 car with yellow black plates????
It’s hard to find a DMV employee that knows what to do with YOM plates.

I have some NOS California metal 62 tags.
Not really sure how these would work at DMV?

A676F00E-F2A6-4981-A03C-2576645453DC.jpeg

Once a set of plates are assigned to a specific year they are PERMANENTLY assigned to that year, end of story, done! You got to love the DMV.

Alan

Once a set of plates are assigned to a specific year they are PERMANENTLY assigned to that year, end of story, done! You got to love the DMV.

Alan
Thats the answer I get, I can get nothing from them to backup why. . That's the frustrating part , usually you get some sort of why for an answer but not in this case. But its the DMV.

Does your DMV ask for a Xerox? (you know, cause Covid) This is how Michigan handles YOM plates. Do a clever job of photoshop fudging one character into another with the 62 sticker tacked on with a scotch tape bubble.

XRT 231 becomes XRI 231

If you ever got stopped, a cop (insurance industry agent) probably won't even mention it. DMVs make those screwups all the time. Or just run the 61 registration... Few will tell you "this can't be a '61, Exner removed all the fins for '62!" Works great for late model minivans as well!

Last edited:
Does your DMV ask for a Xerox? (you know, cause Covid) This is how Michigan handles YOM plates. Do a clever job of photoshop fudging one character into another with the 62 sticker tacked on with a scotch tape bubble.

XRT 231 becomes XRI 231

If you ever got stopped, a cop (insurance industry agent) probably won't even mention it. DMVs make those screwups all the time. Or just run the 61 registration... Few will tell you "this can't be a '61, Exner removed all the fins for '62!" Works great for late model minivans as well!
The local DMV must physically inspect the plates, they do not like restored plates and they may get rejected.

Alan

Thats the answer I get, I can get nothing from them to backup why. . That's the frustrating part , usually you get some sort of why for an answer but not in this case. But its the DMV.

You'll have to get another set of vintage plates, unfortunately, and start the process from scratch.

Each YOM project for my vehicles took at least three DMV trips, each.

3 different DMV, S and one independent agency and here all come to the same conclusion. Once assigned to that year can only be put on the same year. I drive the car only a few times year. I am going to just put them on the car. See if I get stopped or not and keep the registered plates in the car. I see cars with tags years out of registration I,ll take my chances.

Is there a way to tell what year a plate was originally assigned to?
Example I have this this 56 series plate on a 61 with 62 sticker. Just for props.
What year did a starting with a D plate come out?

C5C6C853-564E-4411-AAE2-8950FDAB84DD.jpeg

It is a hard calculation. In 1956 they issued new plates to ALL cars in the state, in 63 this went all the way to about R, so I would assume it was about the same. That being said a D plate in 56 was most likely issued in 56, it could have been on any year car through 56. If I cared I would not want this plate for a 57-62 car.

Alan

It is a hard calculation. In 1956 they issued new plates to ALL cars in the state, in 63 this went all the way to about R, so I would assume it was about the same. That being said a D plate in 56 was most likely issued in 56, it could have been on any year car through 56. If I cared I would not want this plate for a 57-62 car.

Alan
I think 99.99% of the population would not even register this detail. That being said: when I tagged my cars in my new state-I located a dozen sets of plates that matched year and county registration.

Let’s say you have a set of clear vintage plates and you get a set of personal plates with that number.
Then you use your vintage plates instead.
Would you really be in that much trouble?

Let’s say you have a set of clear vintage plates and you get a set of personal plates with that number.
Then you use your vintage plates instead.
Would you really be in that much trouble?
They shut that method down years ago.

Alan

Back