-56 N.Y. front brake cylinder swap

Glider

Reaction score
Though I show this, maby there are someone else also who still use drumbrakes & if so; here's some info so you know when it's time to replace the cylinders.
There are two plates that the cylinders slides on to at the end where the connecting pipe goes in & the shoes keeps in radial position by sliding in between them, both shoes ends, not easy to understand I guess but when you have it in front of you you'll get it.
Anyway, this means that the cylinders have to slide off those & that aint possible cuz they're stuck in the other direction by the backing plate! This means that the four bolts that holds all these plates + the backing plate with nuts on the inside of the spindle will have to come lose... & if you manage to keep at least two bolts in the spindle holes it's better, otherwise it all falls appart...
A trick I used was to connect the hose to the upper cylinder first & connect it to the pipe from the master cylinder so while removing the lower one the fluid runs thru & presses air out, then attatch the pipe & the lower, by now also installed cylinder, & then open the bleed screw to let the last air out & "POFF!" you don't have to bleed the system at all cuz it's done by itself!
But if you forget to fill the resorvoir on the master cylinder... eh... you get it, right?

P1020860.JPG

P1020861.JPG

Last edited:
& by the way; the springs that holds the shoes are tough li'l bastards, pry the shoes out of the plates first, one end at the time, then it's way easy cuz the springs aint holding much anymore!

Back