57 Imperial restoration?

57 imperial

Reaction score
I have a 57 Imperial 2 door convertible going it start restoring. It is complete all trim and 392 hemi, floor pans are bad and little rough in other areas. Looking for any helpful tips, will be my first restoration car has been in wife's family since early 60's.

Welcome. I agree, pics would be great.

If you haven't already, you should join the Imperial group on Yahoo groups. Lots of Imperial-specific info there. Also be sure to read through the archives of the online Imperial club.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Can't wait to see it!

My advice....

First, figure your cost and then double it and don't be surprised if it is triple when you are done.

Second, everything will take a lot longer then you figure especially anything you have someone else do.

Third, you will never get your money back. The car's true value will never exceed what you spent to restore the car.

Fourth, it is much easier to take the car apart then it is to put it back together. Organize everything as best you can. I use a lot of those plastic food containers that you can buy in the grocery store. Label, take lots of pictures and notes. Not everyone will be familiar with a 57 Imperial like they might with a newer car, so you will have to depend on yourself to put it back together the right way.

Here's my best advice though... get the car running and driving first. Tackle one area at a time while you are driving the car and having some fun with it.

You need to register and check in over at the forward look site, (http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/category-view.asp).
Lots of knowledgeable early Imperials folks there, as well as parts.

"Here's Big Johns best advice though... get the car running and driving first. Tackle one area at a time while you are driving the car and having some fun with it.

it is much easier to take the car apart then it is to put it back together. Organize everything as best you can. I use a lot of those plastic food containers that you can buy in the grocery store. Label, take lots of pictures and notes. Not everyone will be familiar with a 57 Imperial like they might with a newer car, so you will have to depend on yourself to put it back together the right way
."

This is good advise.... Except that i'd much rather put a car together then take it apart. JMHO.
Love to see pictures of the car, and project.

Will.

Back