60 Dart Spindle Question

Kapt

Reaction score
Here's a stumper question for you gurus out there. I have a 1960 Dart, Pioneer. Someone took the factory drum brakes off of it and replaced them with newer drum brakes from a Charger, or a Newport. At least that's what the parts guy and I think by going by the number on the wheel cylinder. Soon I am going to convert the front to disc brakes. I found a kit that should allow me to keep my 14" wheels here: https://ssbrakes.com What I'm wondering about now is the spindle. How would I know if it's still the 1960 spindle, or if it got changed too. I'd hate to buy the kit, get everything stripped down to install it only to find out I have the wrong spindle on my car now. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
This kind of sounds like you are in the trial and error zone right now...

Did you speak with anyone from SS to tell them what you believe the current setup is?

Is there a casting number or something on the spindle I can use for reference maybe?

It's possible that they swapped out the earlier dual wheel cylinder style of brakes? Which could be problematic to adjust and such? Check out the stamped numbers on the wheel bearings to see if they might cross with the reputed Charger numbers. You'll need an aftermarket bearing book to do that. The stamped numbers would be on the edge of the bearing, typically. Should be prominent, too.

When you find the numbers, you can then check the listings for your 1960 to see if they are correct for the car and then look in the "Buyer's Guide" section to see what other vehicles they might fit. This might be the easiest way to see what's going on?

For general principles, while you're in the investigation mode, check the aftermarket part numbers for the upper and lower ball joints for the car. Then also look in the Buyers Guide section of that catalog to see what other vehicles the particular ball joints might also fit.

The reason I'm not recommending the use of a Chrysler parts book is that it would be hard to track the original numbers through all of their part number changes. The factory part numbers would have no relationship to the wheel bearing stamped numbers, either. Finding an auto supply with a good bearing catalog would be much more relevant, to me. Bearing numbers typically didn't change over time, either. Rock Auto might supply the information in this area, too, by clicking on the bearing part number listing and the "Info" icon for each one.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just went into RockAuto and looked around. The plot thickens! Seems that the ball joints go from the later '50s into the '80s AND cross several platforms, notably B and C. The wheel bearings have similarly wide model years, too. Much more commonality that I every suspected!!

I suspect there should be some casting number somewhere on the existing spindle. IF it starts with a "1" or "2", then it's probably the original one for the car. If it has a "3" for the starting number, that would probably not be the one original to the car. Might need to send SSB a picture of the spindle for possible ID, including the 7-digit part number casting and any other "date code"-type casting areas on the part.

Might end up with some brake parts cleaner, a stiff brush, red rag, drain pan, and your camera coming into play. AND, of course, the car safely supported on jack stands!

CBODY67

Just went into www.jholst.net and looked at their Parts Interchange listings. As that website is mainly oriented toward the Chrysler 300 letter cars, there are lots of things related to the 1965 and earlier Chryslers, including parts books and the Interchange Manuals.

The reason for the suspected "Charger" item is that the '60 Dart appears to use a 10" brake drum from the factory. Just as the '65 Dodge/Plymouth B-bodies did. Given the prior wheel bearing interchanges, the B-body 10" brakes could well go into the same place as the dual-wheel cylinder '60 Dart brakes. If the backing plates have the same bolt pattern, then it's a bolt-on deal, I suspect. Again, somewhat unexpected, all things considered, but NOT impossible.

Click on the Parts Resources-type icon, then the Parts Interchange link. It'll bring up the sections of the interchange manual. For the spindle, look at "Suspension". For the brake items, an appropriate section for that, to. A section for wheel bearings. I believe there are some casting numbers for the spindles? And the wheel bearings, too. Just have to click and look around. As it's a .pdf, you can put the cursor at the tom and a tool bar will appear, with "+" icons to enlarge the page for better reading. Plus a "Save As" icon to the right of that. That tool bar will automatically retract, but can be returned by putting the cursor to the top, again. Cycle repeat.

Hope this might help explain some things.
CBODY67

If the 60 had 10" drums stock, mine have most definitely been changed. It has 11" drums on it

Personally, all things considered, I would have suspected 11" drums, too. The key thing is that the '60 cars used a dual wheel cylinder brake system. One cylinder per each brake shoe. The B-body cars would have the later style single wheel cylinder brakes.

Just looked in the parts book at www.jholst.net and all of the listings for "Hub and Drum" were for 11" brakes on the '60 cars. No mention of 10" brakes that I could find. 12" on some, mostly on Imperials. So much for the later B-body 10" brake tie-in, although the later B-body cars could have 11" brakes, too.

The later 11" brakes would have needed a whole "assembly" change. Backing plate and all.

CBODY67

Last edited:
OK so it's sounding like I might be better off ordering a kit from Jegs that comes with A-arms and spindles then. I wanted to avoid doing that so I wouldn't have to get it aligned again. The kit I was looking at was good with most 14" wheels I'll bet the one from Jegs isn't. Oh well. I was hoping to not have to buy new wheels right now. I'll get over it haha

Back