60 psi on #6

jake

Reaction score
Some of you might remember that I rebuilt my motor from scratch about 2 years ago and I have about 1500-2000 miles on it since. Jakes 383 rebuild I did a compression test this weekend for shits and giggles and the every cylinder was at 118-120 except #6, which was at 60. My heart dropped. Someone, please tell me this is in the valves and not the cylinders!!! She runs like a bat out of hell, little slow of the line but she is 4500lbs.

What does a wet test produce?

And was this hot or cold?

Did you verify the rockers are opening?

On a build this low on milage i'd suspect maybe a wiped cam lobe before ring issue.

Also make sure the compression tester is tight. Had that problem myself when #1 was 90psi and the rest were 150. Went back and rechecked and tightened everthing up and numbers went where they should have been.

Dont freak yet.

Do a second compression test after adding about 3 oz. Of oil through the spark plug hole. Attach your compression gauge and retest. Low or little change more than likely a valve stuck open or valve train failure.

I 2nd checked the cylinder dry, same reading. Everything was a cold test no lube. Spark plug looks good. I will try a wet test when I get a chance.

Also, are you getting any valve train noise? A flat cam lob or bent push rod will produce low compression on the affected cylinder. Might want to pull the valve cover and check to see if both valves on #6 are opening and closing the full length. It is pretty unlikely that a 2k engine would have burnt a valve unless the machine shop screwed up big time fitting a hard seat or grinding the valves. Bent push rods on mopar big blocks that spend a lot of time sitting are fairly common so start there.

Dave

Last edited:
It is pretty unlikely that a 2k engine would have burnt a valve unless the machine shop screwed up big time fitting a hard seat or grinding the valves.
I am the machine shop, thats what is worring me. I will pull the valve cover this coming weekend and see whats up.

Ok, I pulled valve cover and took of rocker arm, valves can be moved by hand, so they are not stuck. Pushrods are straight, not bent. I took video of the rocker arms in motion and the lift looks good, I did not mic it, just visual. Take a look and let me know what you think. Oh, did a wet test on that cylinder and it did not come up pass 60. BTW, test all been done cold.

Back