61 Polara and 62 300 drive train compatability

Golden Banana

Reaction score
OK I'll try and explain this as best I can
I have a 61 Polara 2Dr with seized engine and unknown tranny condition 361 pushbutton auto.

I also have 62 300 4Dr hardtop with 383 pushbutton auto which I drive and is fine.

I've spotted a rough but low mileage running and driving 62 Newport 4Dr sedan that I'm looking to use the engine and potentially trans for my 61 Polara, just wondering if things will me happy drive-in wise?.... Also spares for my 300 are obviously in abundance but is the glass different on the 62 sedan and hardtops like it tends to be on the fuseys?
Hope someone can help.... Thankyou!

1961 was the last year for the cast iron trans. (Is your 61 a powerflight 2sp or torqueflight 3sp..)?
62 was the first aluminum trans. The 62-65 torqueflights were all cable shift and should adapt to your 61 pushbutton selector.
If you use the combination 62 engine and trans you should be OK. There are crankshaft flange differences between pre 61 and post 61 engines.
You should be able to get more definitive answers over at the "Forward Look" forum.

Category & forums listing - The Forward Look Network

Thankyou for that Sir! I'm a member over there but I just don't want to get off my nest to get the password!

1961 was the last year for the cast iron trans. (Is your 61 a powerflight 2sp or torqueflight 3sp..)?
62 was the first aluminum trans. The 62-65 torqueflights were all cable shift and should adapt to your 61 pushbutton selector.
If you use the combination 62 engine and trans you should be OK. There are crankshaft flange differences between pre 61 and post 61 engines.
You should be able to get more definitive answers over at the "Forward Look" forum.

Category & forums listing - The Forward Look Network

Yes, Will is correct, you can not use the cast iron torqueflite with the 1962 engine unless you put a 1961 crankshaft in your 1962 engine.

Back