Reaction score
Contact seller
Hope you are ambitious.....

Cheap 9-Seater! '62 Chrysler Town and Country

heap 9-Seater! ’62 Chrysler Town and Country
Todd-Fitch_avatar_1510764313-24x24.jpg
Todd Fitch
1962-Chrysler-Newport-Wagon-1-e1566924184945-630x390.jpg

With its sporty 300-like grille, four-door hardtop greenhouse, and (new for ’62) lack of fins, the Chrysler Newport offered high style for high rollers. This 1962 Chrysler Newport Town and Country (station wagon) in Thomaston, Connecticut appears to retain most of its original equipment in fairly good shape, though structural rust in the lower regions should concern any New England car-shopper. If this trim-laden behemoth is calling your name, the $2950 asking price here on craigslist.org will be just the beginning of a long journey.

1962-Chrysler-Newport-Wagon-2-e1566924197459-630x390.jpg

Fin-free for the first time since ’55 or ’56 (depending on model), the 1962 Chryslers said goodbye to the ’50s and hello to Camelot. That rear bumper sends an imposing warning to would-be sheet-metal scrapers: “Not so fast, Buster!” Let’s hope that left rear trim is inside; good luck finding one at your local swap-meet.

1962-Chrysler-Newport-Wagon-3-e1566924210705-630x390.jpg

The “breathable vinyl” seems to have endured 50+ years in decent shape. Chrysler’s push-button transmission and Astrolab instrument cluster brought future technology to the forward-thinking buyer.

1962-Chrysler-Newport-Wagon-4-e1566924224605-630x390.jpg

Of two 413 cid V8s available, this appears to be the “Firepower 340” named after its peak horsepower. The only mightier mill was the dual-carb Firepower 380 (thanks to wikipedia.org for some details). This motor turns but does not run. One of two grapefruit-sized road horns sits in front of the radiator, ready to peel paint off lowly 21-st century vehicles in your way. Much like barges on the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers of Pittsburgh, the Newport Town & Country charts its own course while lesser craft scramble to give way.

1962-Chrysler-Newport-Wagon-5-e1566924238962-630x390.jpg

The Atradome globe certainly ranks among the coolest instrument panels ever. Check out Hemmings.com for more information. This technical marvel still packs the wow factor today. Some might count this gizmo alone as worth the price of admission. What will it take to get this derelict dinosaur road-worthy?

More: Chrysler

"What will it take to get this derelict dinosaur road-worthy" Surely you jest, Everything! This is a money pit of the first order that looks to have been stored outside for many years. Seller claims there is "structural rust" meaning the frame is shot. This is a parts car.

Dave

Maybe so Mr Lux but I think it is cool.......

The seller isn't claiming structural rust, it's the Barn Find writer calling the rust in the rockers and quarters "structural". Technically, the rocker rust is structural, but it's also pretty common on these cars, and usually not a huge deal. I thought the car didn't look all that bad for something from the New England area. It's one that you'd have to look over in person to see how bad it actually is.

Jeff

I prefer the 61 models with the fins, My Classic Car had a 61 with the two 4bbl engine. I believe that was a CT. car as well.

I prefer the 61 models with the fins, My Classic Car had a 61 with the two 4bbl engine. I believe that was a CT. car as well.

I agree 100%. I never cared for what they did with the back of the '62s. Would have looked much better if they used the same quarter treatment and tail lights that the sedans and coupes had.

Jeff

If this car had been in the southwest for sure but from where it is, that a huge gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back