63 300 brakes on a 61 Plymouth

SGT FURY

Reaction score
I'm not big fan of new disc brake conversions on old cars . Not the way they work,but they look. I want to be able to use the original 14in wheels and hubcaps. I have 3 63 300 parts cars. I'm planning converting the 61 Plymouth brakes to the bigger 11x3 300 drum brakes.
Just wondering what your guys opinions are this swap as alternative to disc swap

You can retain the 14" wheels that way. Finding 14" tires large enough is the issue, especially if you want white walls.
For normal pleasure driving the drum brakes work just fine.

I'm not big fan of new disc brake conversions on old cars . Not the way they work,but they look. I want to be able to use the original 14in wheels and hubcaps. I have 3 63 300 parts cars. I'm planning converting the 61 Plymouth brakes to the bigger 11x3 300 drum brakes.
Just wondering what your guys opinions are this swap as alternative to disc swap
I did this exact swap on my 61 Plymouth many years ago. Great upgrade. I used the 63 Chrysler front spindles and brakes, plus added the 63 Chrysler sway bar. Direct bolt on stuff. It's a huge upgrade over the center plane brakes. I used a master cylinder for a 68 newport, plus the 68 Chrysler brake divider to upgrade to dual circuits. The 65-69 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth C body rear end is also a direct bolt in.
Disc brakes are nice, but the 11" drums work very well too. Go for it

Back