64-66 Imperial Questions

Boomer

Reaction score
A couple questions for the slab side owners out there.

First - take a look at the photo below and tell me - what am i missing here?
Door No1.JPG
Door No2.JPG

I've checked photos of different cars, most have two hoses connected here. I thought it might be for a rear heater or AC unit, but saw a convertible with the hoses there recently.

The manual seems to be of no help. It also shows hoses going there, but only in outline. No definition or explanation unless I'm missing it.

Question 2 is for folks with the front-mounted power aerial. Where does the coax cable that plugs into the radio enter the car? A previous owner added a cassette deck and in the process, blasted a crater in the rear fender to mount a new aerial that came with the radio, apparently.

I looked carefully at the firewall, no joy. Looking down between the hood hinge and fender I can see a blue and white wire (I'm guessing the power for the aerial motor) running from inside the fender into the car, but no black coax. I have a ways to go with the original radio before I need to worry about it, but it would still be nice to have an idea upfront.

Should say that I have not yet removed the passenger side kick panel or carpet, so it may be tucked away in there somewhere. If not, where should I go a-lookin'?

TNX

The hole in the firewall is where the heater hoses connect with the heater control valve. Yours is missing.
As for the antenna, the panel in the wheel well is removable. Take it off and you will be able to access everything you need.

The hole in the firewall is where the heater hoses connect with the heater control valve. Yours is missing.
As for the antenna, the panel in the wheel well is removable. Take it off and you will be able to access everything you need.

Expect your heater core to leak, that's probably why it's disconnected.

The nipple is broken off that actuator in the picture,check for the nipple in the end of the vacuum hose. Nipple could be glued on if you find it.

Yep, it's still in the hose and fits back in perfectly. I've got a large soldering gun, so I'll try to slobber it back in first, epoxy if that doesn't take.

Thanks for the info on the valve, Imperialist. The glovebox is out (missing) so I could get a good view inside and there didn't seem room for anything much in there. Was thinking it must be some kind of control or bypass valve but could find zero info in the service manual. Found a couple replacements online that say they're for the 66 Imp but don't include the little cover with the bracket for the copper coil. Others that have the cover don't seem to have the same bulkhead plate. Think I'll cover both holes for now to keep the critters out and figure it out later.

Wouldn't be surprised if the core leaked (the 300 did), but for now all the hoses are still hooked up. Someone did put a manual shut off valve in the inlet line, though. You can see it near the top of the photo below. Not sure if that was due to a leaky core or to control summer heat issues inside.
Heater Hose.JPG

I have found that when those valves are old, they do not shut completely, leading to heat on all the time, which is not so good in summer. It's easier and cheaper to install that manual valve than to replace the heater control valve.
Hopefully, the cable from the temperature adjustment lever is still there. With the glovebox out, installation of the valve is pretty easy. I think this is the right one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1960-1966-Chrysler-Dodge-Heater-Water-Control-Valve-1965-1964-1963-1962-1961/142729047517?epid=1058654829&hash=item213b506ddd:g:7rMAAOSwP8lasXgL&vxp=mtr

Yep, that's the one I saw that appears to fit the firewall opening best. It's missing the other cover that holds the coil, though. Maybe they expected you to reuse the one you had? Mine is missing. Here's one I saw with the second cover, but the firewall mounting is different: " REBUILT " 1966 & 1967 Mopar B body heater valve 2607027 | eBay

I'm just going to throw some gorilla tape over it when I get a minute. Once the other work is done to get it back on the road, get the top working properly and so on, I'll go back to it. The glove box was missing when I got the car so I got a replacement. It offers excellent access to that area and helps a lot when sorting out the radio.

Speaking of which - I did see that access panel in the fender well after seeing a reference to a 'fender shield' or such in the manual. Drawing shows the brace but no shield, at least it pointed me right to it. Am I correct in guessing that the coax feedline from the electric aerial enters the car behind the fender well (or wheel house?) so it's not visible from the engine bay?

Hoping to get out there this weekend if the weather holds. Off and on rain for the last 4 days, currently sunny and 75. Rain tonight (woohoo). Did make some progress on the original radio, at least.

Back