64 Imperial center bearing housing repair

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I just pulled my drive shaft off of my 64 Imperial. The center carrier bearing is shot and the rubber housing needs replaced. The housing definitely had something wrong because It was easy to pick up the drive shaft and move it all over the place!

I wrote damper dr, but does anyone have any recommendations on what to do or other alternatives for fixing this?

Thank you in advance!

Photos of the rubber housing

16662927434282998152272711232043.jpg

16662927775806211226642076996477.jpg

16662928148356260688851889964060.jpg

Looks like the rubber deteriorated a good bit. Suspecting the bearing needs replacing, too? IF there are any water shields/deflectors for both sides of the bearing itself, DO replace them, period!

It might be a sealed bearing, but that does NOT mean it is "sealed". On our '69 Chevy pickup, it needed a new carrier bearing assy about every two-three years. Once, I took it to the local Chevy dealer for that repair. The tech disassembled the unit, chunked the water shields, said "They aren't needed as it is a sealed bearing". I trusted his judgment, but ONE year later, it was time for a new carrier bearing assy. When we took the plastic "seals" off the bearing assy, it was full of sand. SO . . . a new carrier bearing and new water deflectors were installed and that was the end of those problems.

Check www.web.imperialclub.info to see if they have any ideas on this issue.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Have you checked the repair section over on the IML?
I seem to remember someplace mentioned beside the Damper Doctor for these.

Hey thanks everyone for your suggestions! I went on the Imperial club website and they just listed damper dr. I'm thinking about sending out to them and just let set it up. Let's hope everything goes well!

Damper Doc rebuilt (revulcanize) mine years ago.New bearing is available at parts stores.

Back