65 Fury 318 poly oil pan removal question...

Jay Gibbs

Reaction score
Here's a quick one...can I remove the oil pan from my poly 318 (in a '65 Fury) without lifting the engine up? I know I'll have to at least remove the tie rods center link to lower the pan and get it out. Not sure if there will be enough clearance above the frame member and below the crank to slide it out though???...

Thanks.

J. G.

I have to remove oil pan on my 65 Sport Fury poly as well.Did you get yours removed?Did it clear crank or did you have to lift motor up to clear? If I get to mine before you I will let you know the outcome.

I have to remove oil pan on my 65 Sport Fury poly as well.Did you get yours removed?Did it clear crank or did you have to lift motor up to clear? If I get to mine before you I will let you know the outcome.

I didn't end up completely removing the pan after all...per another recommendation, I just removed all but a couple of the rearmost pan bolts and slightly dropped the front of the pan. Then installed timing cover without further difficulty. Then replaced the pan bolts moving from the rear of the pan tightening and moving forward until the pan was fully tightened.

Let me know if you end up trying to completely remove the pan...I'd like to know the outcome for future reference!

Thanks,

J.G.

Finally got around to removing oil pan.Drop exhaust(don’t need to remove)Drop center steering link from idler arm and pitman arm.You can leave tie rods attached.Remove left side brace from motor to trans.Remove little inspection cover at bottom of trans/flywheel.Pan ready to remove.I did have to rotate engine as front crank counterweight was in the way.Not a bad job !

Back