WANTED 65 Fury 4dr gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCB

Reaction score
Contact seller
Well, when they were prepping the fury for me to pick it up, the ham fisted fork lift operator crushed the fuel tank, so I need another. If you happen to have one let me know.

Thanks!

What else did he crush?

the same happened to my gas tank. they had to send it out and fix it. i hear the 65 tank is extremely hard to find in good shape.

the same happened to my gas tank. they had to send it out and fix it. i hear the 65 tank is extremely hard to find in good shape.

Yours too was destroyed by a fork lift operator?

Yours too was destroyed by a fork lift operator?
yup! mine was sent to a junkyard for scrap. the guy i bought it off of saved it.
he sent the tank out to be repaired and sealed. he wasn't very impressed when it showed up like it is now, not completely fixed.
it still blows me away that some idiot actually brought this car to the junkyard around 2010, a 28K mile all original survivor. this car was always garage kept and never winter driven until the original family sold it, i assume sometime between 2000-2005. sickening!

1965 plymouth savoy 117.jpg

1965 plymouth savoy 101.jpg

Nothing else crushed but they also put a scratch on the side that got the metal. Mines not as nice as his but still decent. Far too nice to be a derby car, which is what they were selling it as.

So is the tank another one of those 1 year only deals?

Yep, that tank is specific to Fury, 65 only. Other 65s, and 66 Fury, use a rear fill.

I have a usable tank, covered in undercoating, but fair inside, and has a broken vent nipple. It was worth saving, so I saved it.

Call Murray Park and some other places to find out what they want for a 65 Fury tank, then get ahold of me and we'll work out a price. I've had 3 people inquire about buying it, all of them backed out for some reason, so if you are interested speak up quick-like -- it already has 3 strikes on it and I'm fantasizing to flatten it with the car and scrap it. It's got bad juju.

Ok I will call them tomorrow and let you know... your inbox is full.

So, I called Murray Park. They don't have one. HOWEVER, they said that new tanks are on their way, but they wouldn't give a date or price. So that certainly is unexpected news. I wouldn't be surprised for new tanks to be in the $400 range as they won't be as popular as some and the set up costs will have to be recouped more quickly.

Yeah, I was surprised when they said that. I hope it pays out for them.

Maybe the tooling is really hand carved Malaysian Oak and the steel panels are hammered by peasant child slave labor inside a dirt floor shack. Then, I could see it.

I'm not sure how gas tanks are currently made but they look like a perfect application for hydroforming.

If originality isn't important I'd just have one made, I talked with a couple shops and they said the could weld one up, may not look stock but would bolt up, they just needed the sender ring.

Alan

I were going to do this tank, I would find out where the current repop tooling is, inquire about a new application, and see if new tooling inserts could be made to form the filler-pipe nipples, which go in the upper part of the shell. The '66-up filler hole tooling can presumably be removed from the upper tank shell tooling for that production run. Would need both pierce and female-form for the nipples, as this tank uses a smaller dia. And then you need the grommet, which might not be repopped yet?

But I sure wouldn't want to be the guy sitting on the ROI for that one.

c300g thanks for the photo, I saved your picture of your '65 dual exhaust. I have planned on putting dual exhaust on my '66 and could figure out how it ran. My fuel tank is right against the left side of the unibody like yours. My single exhaust runs in that gap on the right side between the tank and the unibody. Now I know to just follow the unibody.
Dual exhaust '65.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back