65 fury 6x9 speaker fitment issues

Andrew Ruppert

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently had my original 1965 plymouth fury mopar push button am radio converted to am/fm/aux/Bluetooth. I purchased a new 4x10 dash speaker & 6x9 speakers for the package tray. The 4x10 fits but the holes in the package tray are a bit skinny for modern 6x9's. Has anybody run into this before? Just wondering if there is a particular brand speaker that will fit so I don't have to cut up my car. FYI I also own a 69 dart and the same 6x9's fit it fine. I'm assuming this is strictly a c body problem. Thanks for any advice. -Andrew

20210526_182742.jpg

NO OEM speaker placement from the top, only from the bottom. Ditch any speaker covers the speakers might have come with. The factory rear deck trim on rear speaker cars should have slots over the speakers and jute padding under it (with die-cut slots to remove it where the speakers will be).

At least a C-body trunk floor is big enough to lay in and be somewhat comfortable while doing those installations and wiring.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The front should be 4”x10” and goes in from the top. Yes the rears go in from the bottom.
I bought mine from customautosound. Dual voice coils to handle the power of my converted radio. Note if the radio is remaining stock you should buy speakers with correct 8 ohm rating. Most aftermarket speakers draw so much power you can fry the old radio. (I fried the volume dial control on my 68 Charger this way)
A good reference place.
Classic Car Speakers

I bought mine from customautosound.

I have CustomAutoSound speakers in two cars and they work well. I tried RetroSound speakers and had two of them fail miserably.

And yea, front in from the top, rear in from the bottom.

I have CustomAutoSound speakers in two cars and they work well. I tried RetroSound speakers and had two of them fail miserably.

And yea, front in from the top, rear in from the bottom.
Yep.
Radio conversion and speakers from Gary Tayman. One stop shopping!

Back