65 fury carburetor question

Shorty65

Reaction score
So I finally got the car back together. Rebuilt the carb, ran new fuel lines, new fuel sending unit, new brake lines. I let the engine warm to normal temp and adjusted the idle mixture screws and go to drive it up my drive way which has a slight hill and it dies. I try to get it going again and won’t move at all. So I let it roll back down and sit and it died and now won’t start again. It will fire hen die and that’s it. Did I adjust the screws wrong or do I need to buy a new choke pull off because I reused the old one when I rebuilt the carb

If it dies as soon as you release the key, your ballast resister failed.

Sounds like a float issue. Are you getting fuel to the carb? If not, clogged fuel filter? Bad fuel pump?

Have you tried starting it after pouring a little bit of gas down the carb throat or use starting fluid?

I’m getting fuel to the carb. I replaced the fuel sending unit when I ran new fuel lines. Could be the pump. It ran fine untill I went to drive it up the driveway. So maybe fuel pump stopped feeding fuel properly?

I’m getting fuel to the carb. I replaced the fuel sending unit when I ran new fuel lines. Could be the pump. It ran fine untill I went to drive it up the driveway. So maybe fuel pump stopped feeding fuel properly?

If you are getting fuel to the car then the pump is probably good. If you have a clear plastic fuel filter have someone crank the car while you check to make sure that the fuel filter is filling up.

I have the solid silver filter. I’m ordering a new choke pull off the old one seems worn out

I have the solid silver filter. I’m ordering a new choke pull off the old one seems worn out

You mean that when you compress the linkage, plug the vacuum hole with your finger, the linkage extends on its own with the vac source hole plugged?

CBODY67

What ambient temperature is all of this happening in? Refresh our memories, what carb are we dealing with? If the car started and ran long enough to get the choke to open fully, the engine was at "base idle" rather than on "fast idle", you started with the idle screws lightly seated and then each backed-out 1.5 turns, then optimized the hot base idle mixture from there, at about a 600rpm idle speed, what else did you do or not do?

You say the carb is getting gas to it, so there should be a strong accel pump shot when you move the throttle.

On a cold engine, the choke butterfly should close fully, then when it starts the choke pull-off opens it enough so the engine will run by itself. As the engine runs, the choke coil will heat and further open the choke butterfly more by itself, until it's fully opened.

You might re-check what you did, for good measure. Fuel issues and electrical issues can sometimes act the same. I suspect this issue is not fuel-related.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back