65 fury fuel tank leak

Okie

Reaction score
My 65 fury gas tank leaks from the top only when you fully top it off. I’ve replaced the gasket around the sending unit but that wasn’t it and I haven’t dropped the tank yet. Is there a vent hose on the top that it could possibly be leaking from?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but ‘65 Tanks are not vented. Just through the gas cap.

If you’re sure it’s not the sending unit I’d say it’d be best to drop the tank and get eyes on. May have a pin hole from rubbing on the underside or from corrosion.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but ‘65 Tanks are not vented. Just through the gas cap.

If you’re sure it’s not the sending unit I’d say it’d be best to drop the tank and get eyes on. May have a pin hole from rubbing on the underside or from corrosion.
Okay that’s what I was afraid of

Don't forget about any rubber lines back there, too! Ethanol "degreases" them from the inside out, so what might look good might also be a bit perforated and seep. So plan on replacing all of them, front to back (tank to carb, incl tank vent lines), for that reason and to know that they have been replaced.

I might suspect there's some kind of tank vent down there, too, as on other C-bodies. Otherwise any fuel expansion would result fuel riunning down the side of the car?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back