65 fury help

mopar Joe 65

Reaction score
Need help with power steering leak , the pressure hose fitting that screws into the gear box has a copper gasket on it and was leaking I took it off and it was kinda flat and thin , I put a new one on and it still leaks ? Do I need a thicker gasket or maybe a nylon one ? It’s a new gear box I only have about 20 miles on it . I appreciate any help. Here is a photo.

7F45293D-5BD7-43FC-A162-460F25A77081.jpeg

Does the angle/flare on the pressure hose fitting match the angle/flare on the gearbox fitting?

total guess bounced off the top of my head here; new gearbox or remanufactured? if reman, maybe after they shot blast / sand blast / and chase the female threads have opened up and looser than they should be.. if that makes any sense. I guess if it has straight threads rather than tapered threads and the threads draw the mating surfaces together tight then maybe not. I do know it should be tight enough to squash the copper a bit Don't know if this is a good idea or not but it wouldn't hurt to wrap the male threads with teflon thread tape. Just be sure to keep the tape away from the opening, you don't want little pieces of thread tape trying to circulate around in the system.

I have to disagree with Teflon tape. With a swivel flair the threads do no sealing. If the flair is bad it will still leak out the swivel.
Teflon tape is for pipe threads where the threads are your actual seal.
A39D4DEF-D33C-41D8-8F11-8CF68521E3CE.jpeg
BD1EA72C-D5E1-4D94-B358-40F87EDD6D75.jpeg

If you have a flaring tool, you may be able to refresh the flare as over time if they are over tightened they can flatten out. There needs to be an interference fit to seal. Also check the male end coming out of y steering gear to make sure there are no knicks and it still has a dome to interface with the flare. I don’t like copper washers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I got the leak stopped. I took out the fitting and it looked liked the surface where the fitting seats was pitted maybe from sandblasting ? I filed it flat and with the Teflon tape I am back in business.

Back