'65 Fury III - Removing a rear quarter window nightmare

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello!

I have to remove both rear quarter windows on my 65 Fury III hard top to reglue the glass into the frame, lube everything up, etc. According to the manual, after removing the bottom stop (easy, too 10 seconds), I have to "remove the spring clips on the regulator arm studs in order to remove the roller". Not verbatim, but close enough.

Of course, the arm studs are on the back side of the regulator arms, facing the the outside of the car, so I can't even see what they look like, much less get my hands or any tools on them, and I have maybe 3" to get my hands inside the rear quarter panel to get at the clips.

Removing the clips seems like an impossible task, or at least a HUUUUUUGE pain in the ***, much more than it should be.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Is there another way of accomplishing the task?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

im not the guy to help you - but just generally speaking there may be a spring or scissor mechanism in there somewhere that will pinch your finger off.
know the R&R before you start unbolting stuff

try not to die -

- saylor

Saylor -

Thanks for the warning. Was following the procedure in the shop manual. Of course, they don't tell you HOW to remove the spring clip, or mention that you can't see it or get your hands on it.

Chris

On my 65 I had to reposition the window up and down to remove fasteners that retained the window. This can not be done in one position of the glass. Your's is an AP Model and here's the explanation straight from the OE manual:
1-Remove handles, trim panel and water shield
2-Remove the down stop from glass lower frame
3-Disengage the regulator arm from the lift bracket
4-Tilt the front edge of the glass up and pull the glass upward disengaging the rear lift bracket from the regulator arm
5-Remove the glass assembly from the quarter panel.

You do not have to remove any rollers until the assembly is out. Mark the position of the up stop and down stop before removal. If after reassembling, the tracks for the window do not set the right tilt and position, your up stop will go right past the window assembly and bind. If you have plastic rivets attaching the glass to the lift brackets, these push out, usually. The rollers you refer to are captured in the lift channels and should not be an issue until you reassemble.

Hello!

I have to remove both rear quarter windows on my 65 Fury III hard top to reglue the glass into the frame, lube everything up, etc. According to the manual, after removing the bottom stop (easy, too 10 seconds), I have to "remove the spring clips on the regulator arm studs in order to remove the roller". Not verbatim, but close enough.

Of course, the arm studs are on the back side of the regulator arms, facing the the outside of the car, so I can't even see what they look like, much less get my hands or any tools on them, and I have maybe 3" to get my hands inside the rear quarter panel to get at the clips.

Removing the clips seems like an impossible task, or at least a HUUUUUUGE pain in the ***, much more than it should be.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Is there another way of accomplishing the task?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

These are what the clips look like:
Mopar 1964 1965 64 65 Barracuda 66 67 Coronet Charger Quarter Window Roller Kit

im not the guy to help you - but just generally speaking there may be a spring or scissor mechanism in there somewhere that will pinch your finger off.
know the R&R before you start unbolting stuff

try not to die -

- saylor
This!
And take lots of pics! I've had a few of those apart years ago, and put them back in, and they are a PITA to adjust. Might be easy with a FSM, but I didn't have one so a PITA. Make scribe marks around any washers you take out, that will help hit the original locations.

Oh - and do one side at a time.

Don't worry about chopping your fingers off, unless you have power windows, then just don't don't unbolt the motor from the regulator.

FWIW, I used a mirror laid in the bottom of the body/door cavity to see what was what.

Hope the input helps.

John

Do not try to remove the spring clips with the window in - it's not necessary until the window is out. If you do make sure that you have new ones on hand because they will never lock properly if you bend the tabs on the clips.

I have power windows and I am doing the same. My motors were already out. Trying to get the regulator out. This seems to be a real challenge. Also, I purchased 3 motors on the internet and all 3 have different plugs. Where can I find plugs so I can make them all the same?

I just pried those round clips off with a screwdriver. Once you know what they look like you can work by feel. If you’re careful enough you can re-use the clips.
Somewhere on here is a thread when I removed and installed my qtr. windows to replace broken rollers.

Come to find out my burned out motor is still on the regulator. I have been fooling on them for days. Quarters are stuck in the up position. I am thinking I just may leave them that way and do AC!

Back