65 fury

TerryM

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what the piece is pictured. I've just started reassembling my dash and I've got a few gauge clusters, but only one has the bit pictured. Kind Regards Terry

IMG_3784.JPG

That is a noise suppression capacitor. It is used on radio equipped cars to help control static, in this case from the instrument cluster regulator. They do not like moisture so I would suggest replacing the one in the photo.

Dave

That is a noise suppression capacitor. It is used on radio equipped cars to help control static, in this case from the instrument cluster regulator. They do not like moisture so I would suggest replacing the one in the photo.

Dave
Thanks mate. Really appreciate it. :)

Might replacing the points-style voltage limiter with a later electronic-circuit one accomplish the same thing?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Might replacing the points-style voltage limiter with a later electronic-circuit one accomplish the same thing?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Yes, the purpose of the capacitor is to get rid of static from the points opening and closing. Not even needed unless there is a radio involved. Some of the '65 Mopars have a plug in type cluster regulator and on some it was integral to the gas gauge which powered all the other gauges. That (integral) one is not so simple to replace with an electronic unit. The cluster in the photo looks to me like it is the integral type.

Dave

Back