'65 Monaco - 426 4-Speed.

crv

Reaction score
Is this a member's car?
There rarity of these was a topic of discussion when a member here put his up for sale a while back.
Posted on FB recently.
87398252544_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=MgyyHcnSG1oAX8abQg-&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl6-1.jpg

91176106_2820700181311019_7580126968268455936_n.jpg

00629616640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=w89xNXHxWrsAX-R4tfM&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl6-1.jpg

62855688192_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=RZuauNHUwpUAX-WrtoW&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl6-1.jpg

07735312384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=OPQHDTgu-UMAX_VQSlW&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl6-1.jpg

Beautiful car! Very interesting to see that build tag . . . specifically the "99" engine code. I've been fooling around with deciphering 65 Dodge build codes for a LONG time. Don't know how you could ever prove that was a factory 426 car? Virtually all of the "99" cars that are out there are 383 cars. Although I am aware of a black supposed 426 car that popped up a few years ago with a "99" tag - but IIRC, the engine was missing. Note that John's car does indeed have a "80" engine code stamped into the tag. Would be nice to check over the rest of this red car to see how the other part numbers match up.

Also wondering if the factory has anything to do with this "99" thing. This looks like a Jefferson Main car. I think John's was a Delaware build. (The font is slightly different between the two locations).

So, what do you think? Factory 426-4speed? Any way to prove it?

FWIW.
My fender tag shows engine code 99 also. Only thing special is the Cali Emission 383 4bb. code 62 =315hp, 383
Jefferson Assembly Nov 64 build date. I have the build sheet also if you're interested.
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.29.58 AM.png

So I would be a bit hesitant whether the car in ad above is an original 426. Is there anything else, specific to a 426, to look for on the car?
But either way its a great looking car. Like the red interior.

Last edited:
From everything I have seen for '65, the"99" indicates the standard engine for the model. Fore example, in a 300 it meant 383, and in NY it meant 413.

My Dad used to have a 65' 880 (almost same as Monaco). That was an ex Ohio FBI car with a 426 but it was an automatic. I wish I could have talked him out of it.

The exhaust manifold on the driver side looks like the standard log manifold.

Beautiful car! Very interesting to see that build tag . . . specifically the "99" engine code. I've been fooling around with deciphering 65 Dodge build codes for a LONG time. Don't know how you could ever prove that was a factory 426 car? Virtually all of the "99" cars that are out there are 383 cars. Although I am aware of a black supposed 426 car that popped up a few years ago with a "99" tag - but IIRC, the engine was missing. Note that John's car does indeed have a "80" engine code stamped into the tag. Would be nice to check over the rest of this red car to see how the other part numbers match up.

Also wondering if the factory has anything to do with this "99" thing. This looks like a Jefferson Main car. I think John's was a Delaware build. (The font is slightly different between the two locations).

So, what do you think? Factory 426-4speed? Any way to prove it?
Looks to be a 383 car. One way to prove other is via Chrysler Historical, they decode & list options based on the original IBM punch card. The decode usually includes info additional to the data plate based on personal experience. The shift lever is really rare, unique to C-bodies; try to find another! The 426 they put in looks very authentic but looks can be deceiving.

Looks to be a 383 car. One way to prove other is via Chrysler Historical, they decode & list options based on the original IBM punch card. The decode usually includes info additional to the data plate based on personal experience. The shift lever is really rare, unique to C-bodies; try to find another! The 426 they put in looks very authentic but looks can be deceiving.

could be a 413. I’ve seen the CI of the motor sometimes stamped on the front pad of the block.

chrysler historical does not decode & list options anymore, it has been quite a few years since they did that.
what you get now is a photocopy of a photocopy of the original IBM card.
they will tell you who the original selling dealer is tho.....
i will dig out and post what i got several years ago for my 64 imperial convert.

Yes, I agree. There’s a local here with a survivor 64 Plymouth. When looking at his car the owner showed me the specific stamping for the 426. There was also a 426 stamped on the front pad on the block.

So the consensus is that this is not a factory 426 car?

Going through the old thread of the 426 Monaco for sale I now realize that pics of this car had already been posted by polara71 :rolleyes:
Monaco.PNG

So the consensus is that this is not a factory 426 car?
It almost certainly came with a 383 originally. Looks to be replaced with an RB of some sort with correct 426 trim, actual motor TBD on closer inspection.

Back