65 Monaco molding clips

MoparMike

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get these clips. They are for the molding that runs the length of the car. I need 10-15 of them. When I took the molding off there was double sided tape holding the molding to the body. The pictures aren't the greatest and I'm not home at the moment to get better ones.

20230423_160546.jpg

20230423_160652.jpg

That clips looks SO commonplace for every Ford, Chevy and Mopar out there, with thousands of similar one laying around in every junkyard. Hard to believe that RT doesn't have such a simple thing.
They had several that were close but either they were too small or the top part of the clip didn't fit the attachment piece of the molding.

They had several that were close but either they were too small or the top part of the clip didn't fit the attachment piece of the molding.
That's too bad, but it's the reason that all emblems and trim have been attached with "serious" 3M quality double-back tape for the past 30 years. Think about all the panel rust that's been caused by screw holes and clips/studs during the preceding 70 years.

The rocker molding on my 71 Cuda was fastened by some clips, but at each end was a SHEETMETAL SCREW through the fender and the quarter. Oh, that wouldn't cause rust, now would it? When I redid that car in the late 80's I installed threaded inserts where those awful holes were, properly undercoated inside and body paint on the outside. I'd venture to say that if that car is still around, those holes are still just fine.

Good luck with finding your clips.

The car is currently in the body shop. I bought a roll of 1/16" neoprene to go under all the molding and emblems to try and keep the water, leaves and pine needles from getting under them. I will figure something out 1 way or another.

20230429_151710.jpg

20230429_151725.jpg

20230429_151740.jpg

My body guy is actually a landscaper. He only does bodywork in the winter. When/if he ever gets my car done he won't do anything until November. The wheels are ridlers, I forget the model but the are discontinued. You can still get them chrome with black center caps.

It has come a long way from where it started. Aug when we got the 57 Royal to last week. It was purple metallic when I bought it. After 10 years my wife told me to get it done.

20220828_153427.jpg

20230126_144315.jpg

20230126_144340.jpg

20230328_105134.jpg

20230411_104125.jpg

20230411_104254.jpg

Very very nice.

Not too late to start a standalone "build thread" along the lines of what many here have done. Pics, explanation of the work, the decisions made for what reasons....all interesting to us and useful info for the next guy. It can be done in little pieces, chronologically, so you're not trying to recreate all that you've done thus far.

It has been a long road. As I said I've had the car for 10 years. The car hadn't ran in 4 years when I bought it. Then it came when I was sitting in a hotel in New Jersey. My brother had it running in 3 hours, New battery, spark plugs, 5 gallons of 116 octane gas and some starting fluid. It had a bad miss and the rear bumper was dragging on the ground. New super stock leaf springs and rebuilt front end. Pulled the seats and had them redone. Bought the wheels and tires. Pulled the motor and tranny and replaced. Then drove it like that for 7 years. The paint was bad so I drove it everywhere and parked it wherever I felt like it. Wife was diagnosed with cancer in August. She told me she wanted to see it done. She keeps apologizing to me now because she didn't realize how much it was going to cost. Paint, rechromed bumpers, headliner, carpet, new seals all around. I don't have a lot of the pictures of the progress, lost to cell phones that died. When I get it put back together it will be the car I always envisioned it to be. In 10 years she has never driven it. She always said she didn't want to hurt it. When it's done I'm going to make her drive it. Without her this wouldn't have happened.

It has been a long road. As I said I've had the car for 10 years. The car hadn't ran in 4 years when I bought it. Then it came when I was sitting in a hotel in New Jersey. My brother had it running in 3 hours, New battery, spark plugs, 5 gallons of 116 octane gas and some starting fluid. It had a bad miss and the rear bumper was dragging on the ground. New super stock leaf springs and rebuilt front end. Pulled the seats and had them redone. Bought the wheels and tires. Pulled the motor and tranny and replaced. Then drove it like that for 7 years. The paint was bad so I drove it everywhere and parked it wherever I felt like it. Wife was diagnosed with cancer in August. She told me she wanted to see it done. She keeps apologizing to me now because she didn't realize how much it was going to cost. Paint, rechromed bumpers, headliner, carpet, new seals all around. I don't have a lot of the pictures of the progress, lost to cell phones that died. When I get it put back together it will be the car I always envisioned it to be. In 10 years she has never driven it. She always said she didn't want to hurt it. When it's done I'm going to make her drive it. Without her this wouldn't have happened.
I think you did some serious justice for the first post of your upcoming "65 Monaco build thread"! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back