65 Newport Wagon Brake Drum

65NewportRob

Reaction score
Newbie here and have a 1965 Newport Wagon. The front wheels are locked up and I have the tires off and the bearings and nuts off. I cannot get the drum to come off, it is loose on the bottom but still stuck at the top, this is the ame on bioth sides. I do not have the service maunal yet, Am I missing something or could the shoes really have that good a hold on the drums?

Shoes really had a hold on the drums, took all day hammering and prying over and over, but finally got them both off the front, removed shoes and replaced drums and even found two cheap used tires to put back on so I can get it rolled off of the trailer.

Your problem is typical. The shoes wear into the drum and leave a ridge which locks the drum on the wheel. True for drum brakes on any car, and even for disk brakes. The trick is to back off on the self-adjuster, thru the 2 slots in the back of the backing plate. You use 1 screwdriver to push the adjuster ratchet away and another to turn the star wheel to release the shoes. As I recall, you push down on the wheel, which means you pry up on your screwdriver. Anyway, look at the adjuster with the brakes off and it will be obvious. It takes a little practice, but isn't super tricky like picking a lock. Not a Mopar thing. Most drum brakes use the same Bendix design from way back.

The only problem wasthat the adjuster would not turn-----rusted stuck, shoes didnt appear to have a groove in the drum wither they were just stuck to the drums from sitting in the elements for so long, all of the parts are no good. I will eventually replace all of the brake parts including the drums. the local autoparts store has all of the parts in stock

Back