'65 Newport

65NewportCoupe

Reaction score
Here is my '65 Newport. I've had it since May of 2011. I drive this car all the time and anywhere I need to go. 400/727 drivetrain. Stock bottom end, 452 heads, Hughes camshaft, Edelbrock Performer 383 intake, 600 Holley, high volume oil pump, dual exhaust with stock manifolds that turn out before the rear tires (2.5"). I haven't done much to it other than the addition of the aforementioned exhaust and tune up. Needs headliner, dash pad, floorpan on passenger side replaced.

Very nice! Do you have a picture of the engine compartment?

I like it, welcome to the site from the Motor City! If I haven't already said that.
More pics!!!

Here is my '65 Newport. I've had it since May of 2011. I drive this car all the time and anywhere I need to go. 400/727 drivetrain. Stock bottom end, 452 heads, Hughes camshaft, Edelbrock Performer 383 intake, 600 Holley, high volume oil pump, dual exhaust with stock manifolds that turn out before the rear tires (2.5"). I haven't done much to it other than the addition of the aforementioned exhaust and tune up. Needs headliner, dash pad, floorpan on passenger side replaced.

VERY Nice!! I'm diggin' the "specs" you listed about the motor, close to what I have going on with my 70' coup. Dying to see the motor also. I love sleepers.

Had to re-register but I'm back. Thanks for the comments guys. The power is pretty decent for a car this big and heavy! It really surprised me! I am a fan of the 400.

The motor isn't much to look at though :(
Here is a video...

http://youtu.be/4dxAYUYTZQc

Nice video. What's up with all the hidden Mopar's in the background? I see a Dart and maybe a Duster and maybe some others. Looks like there are Mopar's everywhere. Nice!!!

Thanks. There is a Red '72 340 Demon in the back. I have a few Mopars but don't have much $$ money to fix. Been out of work after my car accident a couple of months back.
There is also..
*'70 Charger 500
*41 Dodge truck- 318/904
*71 Duster Twister
*48 Dodge d24 Sedan
*71 Valiant Scamp
Dad's got a '74 Dart Sport and '76 Feather Duster. Everything needs work though...Some guy on youtube said I was rich. I laughed hard because I started getting them in '98.

Had to re-register but I'm back. Thanks for the comments guys. The power is pretty decent for a car this big and heavy! It really surprised me! I am a fan of the 400.

The motor isn't much to look at though :(
Here is a video...

http://youtu.be/4dxAYUYTZQc

Nice car & video (I dig the music too). Your motor has that "stock sleeper" look to it which is cool if ya ask me. I envy you non-A/C guys, you have it good--you don't have to contend with all the GD A/C plumbing, huge condenser, wiring, blah, blah. I would guess it makes your engine compartment that much easier to clean. Anyways, Nice!

Thanks...it is bare bones as can be concerning options. It won't beat much out of the hole with it's 2.76 gears though. I drive the car all the time and it isn't to bad on highway mileage. So it works for my use for sure!

It needs an alternator upgrade though...

Maybe you can install the 100 amp alternator. You'll need the brackets too. And belt length will change too.

Does your battery not stay charged? I have the stock round-back alternator in my 65 Newport and it works fine even with TBI injection, AC, and electronic ignition. No electric fan, which is what really sucks the current.

I replaced the headliner in my car soon after buying it in 1991. I called a company in the LA area (name on a headliner box I got thru J.C. Whitney for my 69 Dart). They said "no problem" since they had patterns going back the the 20's or so. They sent several samples for me to pick. If I run into the name, I'll let you know, though today you should find them via google if still around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The lights tend to do the dimming thing at lower rpms so I'm guessing an upgrade should be in order??

What kind of TBI are you running? I have considered going that route since I drive this car alot. The savings in fuel may pay off....just want some input on what maybe reliable.

I ended up with the Newport because the guy I bought it from said that his grandson didn't want it because it was to big or his '70 Challenger R/T!!

Just realized that there are two threads about my Newport..Sorry about that!

Last edited:
I doubt the lights dimming have anything to do with the alternator itself. If the battery is fully charged, it should run for several hours on just the battery, and the lights should be bright with the engine off. Since the lights are brighter when you rev the engine, there are probably poor connections somewhere from the battery. My guess would be the ammeter connections at the dash cluster. That is because all current from the battery is first metered thru the ammeter (except for a few underhood loads like horn, starter relay, and starter). After the ammeter, it gets to the junction where the alternator and all cabin loads attach. Feel the connections since a voltage drop would make them warm. Measuring drops with a multimeter would tell you much more. You should also check the battery terminals, although if corroded, you would probably have trouble starting.

In my 65 Newport 383, I got 18 mpg hwy with the original Rochester 2 bbl carburetor. I recall even with points, but switched to Crane XR700 ignition early on. In 1996, I put on a Holley Pro-jection (2 injector TBI). I paid too much (new). I didn't notice a mileage improvement, even after I added the O2 feedback. I also tried the later 2Di "digital" box. It seems a bit worse in operation, though the O2 sensor connects easier. With the original analog box, I rarely had to tweak the knobs. With the 2Di box, I have to tweak it constantly, even from cool mornings to warmer afternoons. I can easily tell when it goes lean, and I added an O2 monitor light (which 2Di doesn't have).

I have a Holley Commander 950 which I plan to install once I go back to driving the Newport regularly. It adds more sensors to work better - manifold pressure, inlet air temp. It can also control spark timing if you use a GM 8-pin HEI or similar Ford TFI ignition (cheap at Junkyard). I think the "last gasp" of the Holley Projection (4Di or such) was similar to the Commander.

Re cost, I got a complete Holley Pro-jection off ebay for $180 a few years ago. I got an ECU box for $15 and missed a TBI for $20 near me, and a bag of sensors for ~$15. So buying one in pieces can be cheap. Downside is you might have to make your own harness (not easy), but I don't like their factory design anyway. I just use the parts for spares. I got a Commander 950 system for $600 on craigslist (list price ~$1800). I also got an ECU alone for $120 on ebay. I will have to make a harness, but I found the ECU connector is the same as GM 90's computers ($15 used) and I will use a harness from a Magnum engine since I plan MPI for that anyway. You will have some issues running an EFI fuel pump. See my post on forabodiesonly (same name) and others. I did that on my Newport and Dart. Actually better on the Dart (one learns).

If you prefer to run a carb, the Carter Thermoquad or Rochester Quadrajet should be best. The problem is good ones are getting rare, as are parts. I have one of each I plan to try. I have a unique Offenhauser "Dual Port" intake for my 383 that I will try later.

Many plans, but for now focused on restoring my 65 Dart and 64 Valiant. Actually not even that since putting an engine in a Mercedes 300D. Sitting on a lot of parts, but I have many cars, and I can easily re-sell whatever I don't use. Old stuff usually goes up in value. At least my TQ and QJ should.

Last edited:
I have a 66 Newport with 383 and auto tranny too. Can you tell me a little more about the Edelbrock Performer 383 intake, the 600 Holley, and the high volume oil pump you bought; maybe share part numbers so I can do the same? I have a 1968 Carter #4126 BBD 1-1/2 2 bbl carburetor with original intake and standrad fuel pump on mine. While I have been a kind of [keep it all original] nazi, I am kind of changing thought on this.

Cheers from Chris in NC.

I have a 66 Newport with 383 and auto tranny too. Can you tell me a little more about the Edelbrock Performer 383 intake, the 600 Holley, and the high volume oil pump you bought; maybe share part numbers so I can do the same? I have a 1968 Carter #4126 BBD 1-1/2 2 bbl carburetor with original intake and standrad fuel pump on mine. While I have been a kind of [keep it all original] nazi, I am kind of changing thought on this.

Cheers from Chris in NC.

It is the standard Edelbrock Performer for a 383. Holley 600 was bought from Ebay in like '08 via Bates Racing. Don't think they exist on there anymore. Oil Pump came from Advance Auto. Cam is 470 lift ,214 at .050. Not big but actually choppy. 108* LSA. It is from Hughes Engines.

The purists are going to hate on me for this...but I recently did some upgrades to the '65. Today the Newport fired up for the first time in almost a year. It started with wiring issues and the alternator had died. The wiring was a rats nest complete with multiple splices and wire nuts. The Mopar electronic ignition is a good setup for the most part but it went away in favor of a homebrew HEI setup. It is much cleaner, no ballast resistor, no leaky spark box silicone on my firewall either. I also swapped the alternator for a one wire unit from JEGS. It took a lot of R&D to figure out how to mount this on a BB. This eliminated more wiring as well. I took a quick test drive up the road and the HEI setup did indeed outperform the Mopar setup. It idles smoother and it just seems to have more get up and go over all. Happy with it so far. If anyone would like advice on this or needing to see pictures, I will help all that can. I asked about doing these mods on a few sites and go a lot of flack and disrespect so maybe I can help someone else. While I was in there messing with pulleys and things, I did change my fan clutch, replaced the water pump and added a mini starter as well.

Nice touch, Ludwig Van Beethoven Moonlight Sonata. One of my favorite composers. Still digging the car too.

2014-10-03_15-51-32_583.jpg2014-10-05_18-42-16_882.jpgPictures of said progress. Installed some old school Mopar gauges circa 1989 or so. They are Auto meters with a Mopar decal on them but still cool in my opinion. Very happy with the alternator and ignition setup so far!

The engine is getting some blow by though...:(. I've put some serious miles on the car though in the time I've had it.

2014-10-03_15-51-32_583.jpg

2014-10-05_18-42-16_882.jpg

Back