65 Polara 500 426 What is it worth?

Jim 68cuda

Reaction score
My nephew's father in law's friend and neighbor is the original owner of this yellow 1965 Polara 500 with the original 426 (freshly rebuilt) under the hood. I took a look at the car and it appears to be very solid. The original paint might be slightly faded and worn in places as would be expected, yet it still holds a shine. Interior and chrome trim appear to be in decent shape too. The car is in Florida, and they have asked me to help them figure out a value on the car. I figure its worth considerably more than a 383 car, but I can't find any actual numbers that would indicate what a factory 426 automatic 65 Polara would be worth. Any input would be appreciated as the owner is ready to part with it and I don't want to see him sell it for the price of a 383 car.

polara500.jpg
polara500interior.jpg
polara500 motor.jpg

Last edited:
Did some research. Being 65 was the last year of the 426 and most put into the coronet 500 one found in a Polara has to be somewhat rare. Last one I saw was in a 65 Polara convertible.

Does he have the broadcast sheet for the car?

Does he have the original intake and carb?

dart4forte said:
Yep, same AC as the hipo 273. Fits AFB

No , not the same.......much bigger.

My nephew's father in law's friend and neighbor is the original owner of this yellow 1965 Polara 500 with the original 426 (freshly rebuilt) under the hood. I took a look at the car and it appears to be very solid. The original paint might be slightly faded and worn in places as would be expected, yet it still holds a shine. Interior and chrome trim appear to be in decent shape too. The car is in Florida, and they have asked me to help them figure out a value on the car. I figure its worth considerably more than a 383 car, but I can't find any actual numbers that would indicate what a factory 426 automatic 65 Polara would be worth. Any input would be appreciated as the owner is ready to part with it and I don't want to see him sell it for the price of a 383 car.

View attachment 105883 View attachment 105884 View attachment 105885

Nice Polara. It appears to be a strong No. 3 car. Collector Car Market indicates a base 383 No.3 car to be $5300. A 25% premium is added for the 426 engine, indicating an average retail of $6625. BUT. . . If the car is totally rust free and if it could be easily upgraded to a No. 2, I think you are looking at $7000 to $8000. In any event, I would use these figures to negotiate the purchase price.

Nice Polara. It appears to be a strong No. 3 car. Collector Car Market indicates a base 383 No.3 car to be $5300. A 25% premium is added for the 426 engine, indicating an average retail of $6625. BUT. . . If the car is totally rust free and if it could be easily upgraded to a No. 2, I think you are looking at $7000 to $8000. In any event, I would use these figures to negotiate the purchase price.
If I were the seller, I would laugh at anyone offering me under $15,000.

I would think you price it high enough it will just be shipped to Europe. 15,000 is a small amount to someone looking for such a rare big block car. It only takes one person with a relatively small amount of cash.

I would think you price it high enough it will just be shipped to Europe. 15,000 is a small amount to someone looking for such a rare big block car. It only takes one person with a relatively small amount of cash.

Rare doesn't always equal desirable and valuable.

I think $15K - for this car - is ridiculous.
As a buyer it may seem ridiculous, but as a seller it's a different story. I'm no expert, but if it's all numbers matching, it would have to be valued at 20K+, or at least it should be.

"Rare doesn't always equal desirable and valuable."

Yes I understand. You all have been around these cars alot longer than I.

We're NOT showing disrespect towards cars like these. Just repeating observations from the past.
There are those who base their guesstimate on a year or two of observation. Then there are those who base it on being involved with these cars most of their adult lives.
It could break through the five digit barrier but I go on historical data, not last weeks ebay unreasonable Buy It Now ebay listings with the occasional aberration outside the third standard deviation (look it up).

450px-Empirical_Rule.PNG

Last edited:
Just repeating observations from the past.
And that's the problem. Remember when you could buy a SFGT for $3,000? Me neither. The value of all '60-'70 MOPARS have gone up substantially. I have in fact seen cars of this exact type sell for over $20,000. OH, and no, they weren't sold on eBay. If the seller sells this car for $10,000, he is getting screwed. JMHO.

Back