65 Sport Fury center console style? Chrome v Wood (sticker)

James Romano

Reaction score
What was the determining factor whether or not you got the chrome insert or the faux wood panel? I have the wood look... would love the chrome.
695_p37_l.jpg
1965-plymouth-sport-fury-convertible.jpg

i could be wrong but i thought the 65 dodge polara & monaco had the chrome ribbed console top......

My 65 Sport Fury Convert has the wood grained insert. I saw a 2 dr ht in a salvage yard that had the chrome ribbed top. Both automatics. No idea what the deciding factor was between the two but Plymouth used them both. I thought the wood grain looked out of place and was thinking about going with the ribbed top. The junk yard guy wanted $50.00 for the chrome piece that had a lot of pits in it. I figured it needed another $300.00 to fix the pits and re-chrome it so I left it. My wood grained top didn't have any pits so I had it re-chromed. I bought some heavy duty wood grained vinyl that was made for the quarter panel on some cars back in the day and used it on the black parts on the dash. I think it looks more like it belongs now than just being the only wood grained piece on the car. Here is a pic. It has been on there since 1986 and still gets complements at shows.

Fury interior.JPG

That is a REALLY nice interior. I don't always go for two-toning, but this is sweet...… That single piece of woodgrain would normally stick out, but with the two-tone interior it seems to blend in.

That is a REALLY nice interior. I don't always go for two-toning, but this is sweet...… That single piece of woodgrain would normally stick out, but with the two-tone interior it seems to blend in.

Thank you. The interior was always two toned but back in the 80's Legendary was not doing the C bodies so I had my upholstery shop use what they had on hand and sewed up the seats and door panels for me. They did a fantastic job and the car has won several (best interiors) awards.

Wow... that looks great! That was a good idea to incorporate the wood grain into the dash and match the panels! Looks factoy!

Like you, I have the wood grain, which looks out of place as well... but the console is pristine so I don't want to replace it... unless I come across a really good chrome console for the right price.

Back