65 Sport Fury Console Resto

dammstrate

Reaction score
So my 65 Sport fury has been partially restored a couple of times in its history. Along the way the fake wood had been stripped from the dash (or a replacement dash was installed) and its all black. Only fake wood left is on the console. It had started to peel, so I helped it along a bit, but now its just nuclear glued stuck.

1 - what's the best way to remove the rest without harming the piece
2 - what do you think I should so with it, try to re-do the fake wood with contact paper? Painting it black to match the interior seems like it will look odd.

Thanks!

20160703_155715[1].jpg

So my 65 Sport fury has been partially restored a couple of times in its history. Along the way the fake wood had been stripped from the dash (or a replacement dash was installed) and its all black. Only fake wood left is on the console. It had started to peel, so I helped it along a bit, but now its just nuclear glued stuck.

2 - what do you think I should so with it, try to re-do the fake wood with contact paper? Painting it black to match the interior seems like it will look odd.

Thanks!
Believe it or not, WD-40 is known to remove glue residue. Try it and see if it helps, but test it first to make sure it won't damage the console, should be ok.

Thanks!
I wish my "woodgrain" applique looked as good as yours! I would have left it alone.
This was some kind of "design tape" applique Mamopar used. pain in the butt
ABC makes fiberglas repop of 4 speed "woodgrain" top plate $65. Looks good, just not made of original pot metal.
I noticed your broken top plate around tach. Think they all break at that point. Anyone ever figure out a repair? is it possible? can potmetal be "welded"?
That's the reason Bob at ABC remade that fiberglass 4 speed top plate
Many have found woodgrain applique that is close, but haven't seen real good remake yet.
Anyone know of any?
Tom Denkler

Go to your local wood shop and ask for a matching veneer.

I wish my "woodgrain" applique looked as good as yours! I would have left it alone.
This was some kind of "design tape" applique Mamopar used. pain in the butt
ABC makes fiberglas repop of 4 speed "woodgrain" top plate $65. Looks good, just not made of original pot metal.
I noticed your broken top plate around tach. Think they all break at that point. Anyone ever figure out a repair? is it possible? can potmetal be "welded"?
That's the reason Bob at ABC remade that fiberglass 4 speed top plate
Many have found woodgrain applique that is close, but haven't seen real good remake yet.
Anyone know of any?
Tom Denkler
Do you have a web addy for the ABC place? Too common on Google to find this. Thanks!

FWIW - I believe that the dash would be black, and the console would have the woodgrain as factory.

The dash was not woodgrain from the factory.
Have never seen woodgrain on dash of one of these. Only talking of console top plate 65 300 L and 65 Sport Fury. These were always woodgrain. Feature for your extra $ buying Sport Fury
Other furies had flat/matte finish top plate on Plymouth Furies, other Plymouths may have had "ribbed" top plate on Satellites.
I had always thought Dodge used "ribbed" not Plymouth.
May have depended on whatever mood line worker was in!

Have never seen woodgrain on dash of one of these. Only talking of console top plate 65 300 L and 65 Sport Fury. These were always woodgrain. Feature for your extra $ buying Sport Fury
Other furies had flat/matte finish top plate on Plymouth Furies, other Plymouths may have had "ribbed" top plate on Satellites.
I had always thought Dodge used "ribbed" not Plymouth.
May have depended on whatever mood line worker was in!

Our 65 Sport Fury had the ribbed console top. It was an automatic and a very early build date. The woodgrain top may have been a midyear change or a 4 spd only item.

3M Adhesive remover.
Interesting I have only seen the ribbed style cover and not the flat cover with wood grain.

"By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009"

"1965 brought the third generation of the Fury. The sedans sat atop a 119 inch wheelbase while the wagons were given a 121 inch platform. A street legal, 426 'Street Wedge' was now available, promising nearly 400 horsepower. This year also began the Fury I, Fury II, and Fury III naming scheme. In 1966 the VIP name was added to the Fury model line-up. The VIP was an economical, luxury sedan with aluminum taillight panels, wood-grained inserts, and special badging and colors. A popular option on the VIP was the vinyl roof. Luxury could be found on the interior, with its soft carpet, padded dash, individual rearing lamps, walnut grain trim, fold-down armrests, and more. Under the hood was a 318 eight-cylinder engine as standard. The VIP name was short-lived, enduring until 1969 when the decision was made to cease production.

The 1965 Fury had changed aesthetically with horizontal bars on the grille and rearranged rear taillights. The interior had undergone very mild changes. The most drastic change was on the Sport Fury which was given a new console, replacing the console that had been introduced in 1964. The Hurst shifter was no longer offered; rather, a willowy Inland unit with reverse lockout button was offered as optional equipment."

Looks like Plymouth may have had parts availability issues early and installed 1964 consoles in some of the early production 1965's.

Well I hope the tach in my black car will swap over to the gold car. I don't know if the size or mounting was different between the two consoles but I will find out pretty soon. I am actually ordering new carpet and door panels today for the gold car and when everything gets here I will redo the interior and start getting the ac in the car with the new radiator and new front drive on the engine.

Our early 65 S.F. also had a plain black plastic cover where the " prndl" indicator would be for a col. shifter. Later 65s got the one with the Plymouth emblem seen in pics above. The wood grain console top is not as common on the 65s. Maybe they were for a 65 VIP edition. Seems odd to change them when 66 was getting an all new console.

"By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009"

"...The Hurst shifter was no longer offered; rather, a willowy Inland unit with reverse lockout button was offered as optional equipment."...

I will disagree with this. Hurst shifters were still used in 65. The Inland didn't start until 66.

Where are you ordering door panels?
I ordered them through Legendary Auto Interiors. They take about 3-4 weeks to make them. Really great guys up there and had answers to every question and took the time to make sure I was getting everything I needed. They even pointed out that someone had redone the panels that are on the car which I kinda was already questioning. Just dropped almost a grand on everything. Carpet will be here in two weeks.

Back