65 Sport Fury door weatherstrip install

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
There is currently no door weatherstripping on the Sport Fury, when the PO painted it he never installed any.
Here is a pic of the door and the weatherstrip.
Sporty door.jpg

Door weatherstrip.jpg

Door weatherstrip 2.jpg

Here is what I need help with, the FSM is very unclear how it goes on other than with cement. I will use 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
Is something missing in the first pic of the door? I am assuming the side shown in the bottom pic goes against the door.
Anyone with a 65 Sport Fury able to take some pic's of the door and the weatherstrip so I can get a good visual of this?

looks like there should be plastic inserts in the slots for screws to thread into.

The weather strip should have little white s shaped clips in it either already in place on the strip or in a bag. They clip into holes in the door.

The moulded flat end goes at the front of the door held in with black push pins.

The back of the door simply has a cut off piece that tucks under a,moulded plastic and metal retaining plate that secures the w/strip.

No adhesives are used by the factory.

The weather strip should have little white s shaped clips in it either already in place on the strip or in a bag. They clip into holes in the door.

The moulded flat end goes at the front of the door held in with black push pins.

The back of the door simply has a cut off piece that tucks under a,moulded plastic and metal retaining plate that secures the w/strip.

No adhesives are used by the factory.
Any pic's of the weather strip on your car?

I'll see what I can do - currently my 2 door hardtop is all apart, so I have no pics of that, but my wagon should be very similar, at least in how the weather strip is affixed to the door. I'll have a look and get back to you.

So - my wagon's quite a bit more different than I thought than my hardtop, which I don't have pics of the door weather strips installed. So I went on the internet to see what I could find.

So, trust me, that molded end with the 2 dots? That goes on the FRONT of the door just underneath where the vent window meets the door. There should have been 2 black plastic push pins that came with those rubbers - the two dots will locate into the holes in the door, and you use an awl to make a hole through the rubber and insert the push pin through to secure the rubber in place.

All along the length of the weather strip are S shaped clips (kinda T hooked shaped actually) that push into holes in the door. The end of the rubber that looks simply cut of is just that, and goes underneath a special molded end part (metal encased in rubber) that is screwed or uses push pins to attach to the back end of the door (called a Door End Seal) capturing the cut end of the door rubber. When the door is closed, this mates with a similar molded part that seals the bottom of the quarter glass and the body opening (those are hard to find, but ask DMT, Classic Industries, Metro Molded or Steele Rubber, they may have).

Here's the door end seal:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a pic showing the whole rubber, with the push pins.

819277fa1a5cfbe3f38d5d736fec.jpg

Here's a pic showing the rubber molded end that goes at the front of the door with the push pins

s-l1600.jpg

Here you can clearly see the s clips in the rubber.

s-l1600.jpg

Here you can see the end of the door rubber going under the molded rubber and metal part:
1964744-1966-plymouth-sport-fury-std.jpg

Here you can see a pic of the molded part by the 1/4 glass:
1964751-1966-plymouth-sport-fury-std.jpg

OK, hope this all helps.

The weather strips are from Steele rubber. They came with the black plastic push pins, but the rubber is solid without the s clips. Thanks for the pic's, I will look for the door seal end cap.
I just looked on Steeles website, the 66 door seals have the plastic s clips.
They have the door seal end caps so we will order those up.

Thanks again

Last edited:
65 is glue on only. 66-68 used the sharks teeth clips. You need a set of door end caps fof the other side. Call if you need more info
Dave

Back