65 Sport Fury "Maybelline"

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I figured I should start a thread about this car. It is my father in law's 65 sport fury that I am the care taker of. I have posted some things about it. I figured it was about time to start a thread about the car.

The previous owner gave my father in law some pic's that were taken while work was being done on the car, there is a photo garage about the car. He purchased it in Maryland

I resealed the P/S pump a while ago
TRW p/s pump reseal

I changed out the single pot master recently

Old master.jpg

Bench bleed and ready to go
Dual master.jpg

Installed and 2 new lines made.
Master installed.jpg

Started bleeding the brakes at the wheels, RR first then LR and lost all fluid to LR????
Did the front brakes and came back to the rear, it had fluid at the master, cracked the line at the rear hose and I have fluid. So I ordered a rear brake hose and swapped it out. Bleed the rear brakes again and now were happy, all the brakes have fluid.:)

New hose
Hose.jpg

Next up for the car is headlight relay upgrade, door seals, leak repairs on the trans, maybe a steering box upgrade.
We try to get together on Tuesday nights to do work on the car, I figure if I do a little on it each week it won't be long and it will be in tip top shape.

This past week I started wiring relay's for the headlights, I will get some pic's when I finish.

I installed a Borgeson steering box kit on the 65, the kit had the steering box, Saginaw pump w/brackets, hoses and Borgeson coupler. It says it fits the 65 Fury, but I ran into issues with the P/S pump and the LF motor mount.

The old box with the pitman arm removed

Spory Fury 3.jpg

The box with the hoses removed and the lower column shaft removed at rubber coupler

Sport Fury 2.jpg
Sport Fury 1.jpg

The coupler at the old box had to be removed from the lower shaft, the shaft had to be shortened, Borgeson coupler installed, drilled and roll pins installed.

Sport Fury 4.jpg

I had the box and the steering shaft installed at this point and I was putting the P/S pump in place. I then found out the pump doesn't clear the 1 year only 65 big block LF motor mount

Spory Fury 5.jpg

The pump is still loose and I haven't even tried the pressure hose yet

Sport Fury 6.jpg

I modified the LF motor mount to clear the pressure and return lines. I didn't get a good pic of it because I was just zoned out on getting it finished. This is it reinstalled

Sport Fury 7.jpg

The box with lines and the shaft installed. You can see part of the modified mount at the pressure hose

Sport Fury 8.jpg

The steering shaft with the cover reinstalled

Sport Fury 9.jpg

The P/S installed, belt tight, hoses on and the engine is running

Sport Fury 10.jpg

My father in law complained about steering wander before this install. The front end parts are tight, he wanted a tighter more modern feel to the steering. I could have removed the original box and sent it to Firm Feel or Steer and Gear, but he decided on the Borgeson Kit. A 14:1 ratio new steering box, new Saginaw P/S pump, pressure and return lines, Borgeson coupler with drill bit and roll pins. Other than the motor mount it would have been a easy install. He just drove it from the shop to his house and is very happy with it. Huge change in the way it steers. It still needs to get a wheel alignment, Borgeson wants 3-4 degrees positive caster.

Back