65 Sport Fury

kellycom

Reaction score
Instead of tacking pictures to the end of the disc brake conversion thread. I figured I'd just start a new thread for my 65 Sport Fury. It started life as a 383 4bbl, 4 speed car that someone swapped the 383 for a nicely built 440. It's was originally Red with Black interior. But is being painted Black. It's been in the body shop for quite some time and I'm ok with that as the shop is taking their time.

Last edited:
View attachment 2012-12-13 13.22.41.jpgView attachment 2013-02-11 16.44.08.jpg 20130711_123529.jpg20130711_123533.jpg20130711_123613.jpg

View attachment 2012-12-13 13.22.41.jpg

View attachment 2013-02-11 16.44.08.jpg

20130711_123529.jpg

20130711_123533.jpg

20130711_123613.jpg

The car has been at the body shop since around Feb of 2012. The car was media blasted to reveal what was lurking underneath. Much to my surprise and the body shop it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The worst of it was the lower quarters behind the wheels. That was the only rust through besides the driver side floor. Which wasn't that bad. I looked for quality replacement quarters and well as most of you know they don't exist. There are some cheap, thin sheet metal ones you can get off eBay. But well they are crap. The father of the body shop fabricated patches for the quarters out of old electrical panels. The gauge on the metal is great and he fabricated the body lines to match perfectly. I know what you're saying "old electrical panels", but hey sheet metal in the hands of a great body man is just that sheet metal. Where it came from or what it was in another life just doesn't matter.

I went by the shop today to find the first coat of black sprayed on the car. It's House of Kolor black. It was as much as a factory type from say dupont or ppg. So the body shop went with it and I have to say it looks great. It still needs to be wet sanded, another spray of black, and cleared. The pictures don't do it justice.

About some of the other tweaks to the car. To add to what I was hoping would be a very sinister, inky black looking car I had some of the trim, lettering filled in on the car. Gone on the front of the hood are the PLYMOUTH letters. The V8 Commando badges on both front fenders. As well as the Red, White and Blue bars. Also the Sport Fury on the trunk will be gone. I'm going to have some custom panels made for the trunk that will incorporate the Red, White and Blue I deleted from the fenders. I'm basically going to have them recreate along with the Black in panels on both sides of the inside of the trunk. I did keep the Sport Fury for both fenders along with the trim that runs from the front to the back of the car. I think it's a little to busy with the Commando, Sport Fury and Red, White and Blue trim all on the front fenders.

I am hoping to be able to fit 18" Coy Rims in the front and 20's in the back in Black Chrome. The fender skirts will go back on to hopefully complete what I hope should be one sinister looking black C-Body. that will have most people trying to figure out what it is, depending on which direction they approach the car from.

The car is getting disc brake conversion and full front end rebuild courtesy of PST. That should be done within the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Very nice! I'm following this with interest. No question black looks best with the only down side being high maintenance. I'm not familiar with the rims so can't imagine them on the car in my mind's eye. The concept is great though.

Looking good! I'm not sure how your wheel openings compare to my '65 Monaco, but I was able to squeeze 22" in the rear and 20" in the front with no clearance issues. However, when I do tear mine down, I'm thinking of sectioning the rear wheel opening to fit slightly taller rubber.

Hey Kellycom your car is coming along great. I am taking my car over to your body man this week to get a price.. I went through hell getting quarters, but got back from Atlanta this morn with 2 rust free beautiful quarters. I too, wanted to go black, but since you beat me to the punch, I am going black cherry with red interior. No question, black on black is going to look great!! How's your other projects coming?

Last edited:
Been a while since I did an update. Not much has happened since the first coat of black was sprayed. But that doesn't mean I don't have an update. The wheels and tires just showed up today. Coy Black Chrome C-57s. 17x7 (225/45/17) on the front. 18x8 (245/45/18) for the back. They are now stacked in the garage next waiting for the Fury to be ready for them.

009.jpg

009.jpg

Back