66 300 odometer not working

CaptKoby

Reaction score
Recently bought a 66 300 and somewhere during the 3 hour drive home I noticed the odometer not working. It's been stuck on 74461 for 2 months of fairly regular driving. What are the most likely causes and how difficult is the fix? Everything else works so it's not a huge deal really it's just bothering me.

Sorry to say, you're going to have to pull the speedometer head to find the problem. It might be simple from there... but it's going to be in the head itself.

Sorry to say, you're going to have to pull the speedometer head to find the problem. It might be simple from there... but it's going to be in the head itself.

So you're saying it's all in his head ? :realcrazy:

:D

The problem is normally caused by the nylon gears in both the odometer and trip meter. They wore out or broke at a pretty high rate. Sometimes it seems there are more broken ones than working ones. 65 and 66 are pretty bad for breaking, I imagine other years are too. My 65 broke at 59,xxx. I have two other complete units I'm going to disassemble to see if they have broken gears too.

The problem is normally caused by the nylon gears in both the odometer and trip meter. They wore out or broke at a pretty high rate. Sometimes it seems there are more broken ones than working ones. 65 and 66 are pretty bad for breaking, I imagine other years are too. My 65 broke at 59,xxx. I have two other complete units I'm going to disassemble to see if they have broken gears too.

Well I have 126K on mine and still going strong. I digress, Does your speedo work or not? This will help narrow things down.

Back