66 4 speed monaco

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
I see a 66 monaco advertised on kijiji recently.
Claims to be original 4 speed car. Presently automatic but says the clutch pedal is still in the car.
I have no idea how to post the kijiji advertisement here.
Possibly someone might be able.

1966 Dodge Monaco special order 4 speed car | Voitures d'époque | Laval/Rive Nord | Kijiji

It,s for sale for months......

$_59.jpg

I saw it too - there's no reason to doubt it, as it would take more effort to remove the clutch pedal and associated hardware than to install it when retrofitting the auto trans. Yes, things look a little butchered, but it seems to me a genuine car needing to be saved.

As far as I can make out, it's a 383 car. There were a few more 383 4-speed C bodies made that year than 440 versions, but regardless, rare rare rare, especially since it's a Canadian car.

Shame to see it deteriorating under the trees. It's a really attractive color combo, and desirable car (w/ the 4-speed back in it) . . .

Just asking here, but is there any reason to believe its a 4spd car rather than the 3spd column shift? Other than the sellers claim. Either is rare but it just seems more likely to me.
Without being able to see the floor pan for the 4spd hump I'd be pretty hesitant to buy into it.
Too far away and too rich for me anyways. Just stirring the pot a bit.

Well, AFAIK, in 1966, while the lesser Polara was offered with slant 6s and the 3-speed column shift manual trans (and believe it or not, a rare 3 speed no console floor shift option), the Monaco, in Canada, being the top level trim package (like the USA Monaco 500), was offered only with a 318 Poly as the base engine, and included buckets and console, with either an automatic or 4 speed (4 speed was 383 or 440 only).

Now, if you and/or the dealership person knew what boxes to tick, you could theoretically order a Monaco with a 383, ABD console delete with a column shift 3 speed manual or automatic, or even weirder, a console with a shifter delete plate (yes, it's true, I have two of them in my possession) and a column shifted auto or 3 speed manual, but the hoops one would have to jump through to successfully order such an oddball would be even more unlikely than the car being ordered with a 4 speed.

So, I guess never say never, but the only way to verify would be to see the fender tag.

I like pot stirring too!!

It works out to 7300 usa money.
I'm my opinion it's the rust factor that would make or break the deal.
I started getting kijiji alerts last week. I assumed it was a new advertisement. I should have assumed it was relisting.
One should never assume

Actually 7300 is equivalent of 9 grand Canadian.
I see he is asking 8 grand which would be in the area of 6 usa money. Aprox

Need a fender tag photo to see the original options. Neat car, Someone save it!

Well, AFAIK, in 1966, while the lesser Polara was offered with slant 6s and the 3-speed column shift manual trans (and believe it or not, a rare 3 speed no console floor shift option), the Monaco, in Canada, being the top level trim package (like the USA Monaco 500), was offered only with a 318 Poly as the base engine, and included buckets and console, with either an automatic or 4 speed (4 speed was 383 or 440 only).
Being a Canadian production car, wouldn't that base engine have been a 313 poly, not a 318 poly? I think I remember reading that we didn't get the 318 displacement until they started making the LA-block here.

UPDATE: I checked on Allpar and apparently the last year for the 313 was 1964, so we were making the A-block 318 from 1965-67.

Last edited:
Ross,
can you shed some light on production numbers for 383 4 spd cars.
I see the seller is claiming something like 16 4 spd cars built.
I think he is using 440 4 speed production numbers.
I expect quite a few 383 4 speed cars were sold in 66
Either way someone should follow up and get more details.
If I was closer I would go look just for curiosity. That's my excuse

I can't really, as it's all speculation, especially for Canadian production numbers.

What I have heard is that 440 4-speed production for USA totalled about one-tenth of 1% of total production for the year for the 1966 Monaco 500. Canadian production numbers are typically 1/10 of USA production numbers during that period of time.

It's my understanding that considerably more 383 vehicles with four speeds were constructed but I have no numbers relief or back things up

Monaco 500 (USA), out of roughly 1500 made got perhaps 10 - 15 cars with 440 4-speeds. Canada then presumably only got 1 or 2.

From what I've been told, 383 4 speeds Monaco 500s were likely 10 times more numerous (100 - 150 cars in the USA, therefore 10- 15 in Canada), but again, it's all hearsay.

This does not account for any Canadian Polara 4 speed cars, or lesser USA Monaco/Polara models with 4 speeds.

Regardless, be it a 383 or 440, that car is rare and save-worthy

Last edited:
I was told my Monaco four speed was one of thirty-eight built for Canada. Again, no way to prove any production numbers, but I've only seen two 66 four speed Dodges in person, so it's certainly unique.

I seen a 66 monaco 440 4 speed advertised in the auto trader little over 40 years ago.
The 66 sport fury I bought last year was the first 4 speed C body car i had ever seen in person.
As mentioned the number that were built is small. Keep in mind the number of them that actually survived is much smaller.

@rd92west said: I seen a 66 monaco 440 4 speed advertised in the auto trader little over 40 years ago.

That was likely the car I bought - the guy I bought it from was a farmer, and had "rescued" it from a kid, who bought it from the original owner. The man I purchased it from told he'd advertised it a few times when times got tough, but could never bring himself to sell it unless he knew it was going to a good home. I was able to convince him I was that good home person!

It came out of Radville Saskatchewan when I bought it, and sold new in Calgary. I've also been in touch with the original owner.

Now that you mention it the car I saw advertised was in regina area. The auto trader was some kind of a cross canada issue, not the provincial issue. I know the magazine is still here somewe.
It needed transmission work. $1500 bucks.
I was driving a 66 polara 880 4 dr sedan. Slant six. Was all I could afford.
Man I dreamed of how nice it be if I had 1500

I'd be very interested if you can find the ad - when I got it the car had the wrong brake shoes on it and what I was told was the wrong plate, although I'm not sure how either could be so installed...

Let me know if you can find it.

The National Old Car Auto Trader is likely the rag you describe...

It was some kind of a classic or muscle car edition.
It's one of those magazines that never got thrown away. Although it's quite a few years since I've seen it.
I'll definitely keep eyes open for it. I find stuff when I'm not looking for it
There is some stuff that happened many years ago that I never forget.
That advertisement is one.
I could possibly be when the young fellow sold it to the farmer.

Back