66 - 68 Chrome ribbed console top restoration tips wanted

tallhair

Rufus T. Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone done it and what did you do? Specifically asking about the chrome ribs not the rest of the console. Paint, pistol plating stuff?, forget what they call it.

I know there are repops. Not interested.

Also know replating not a viable option.

Thanks for any ideas.

Step 3: Noted :poke:

Anyone that can speak to the question appreciated.

P.S. The ones I have are not “drivers qualify”. They are crap.

I'd look into powder coating. Some of the chrome look powder coat doesn't look bad. The "chrome paint" that seemed to be popping up in videos a couple years ago seems to have not caught on and quite frankly, that doesn't surprise me.

Or, maybe paint it a silverish (argent?) color with the valleys black and don't really try to make it look original, but it might look kinda factory that way.

Another idea might be to do something with vinyl.

I'd look into powder coating. Some of the chrome look powder coat doesn't look bad. The "chrome paint" that seemed to be popping up in videos a couple years ago seems to have not caught on and quite frankly, that doesn't surprise me.

Or, maybe paint it a silverish (argent?) color with the valleys black and don't really try to make it look original, but it might look kinda factory that way.

Another idea might be to do something with vinyl.

Now that’s the kind of thinking I was looking for John.

Thanks for the suggestion. Argent then black and wipe top sounds like a possibility.

I was thinking of similar, no way to cheaply replicate exact but get something to look not too bad far off from original design.

I think I recall @Zymurgy doing a vinyl overlay.

Now that’s the kind of thinking I was looking for John.

Thanks for the suggestion. Argent then black and wipe top sounds like a possibility.

I was thinking of similar, no way to cheaply replicate exact but get something to look not too bad far off from original design.

I think I recall @Zymurgy doing a vinyl overlay.
I got my local vinyl guy to mimic the look. I was very satisfied and has held up well. I will find a photo.

I tried to lay in black paint and it looked awful. This came out really well and very clean precise. When you run your fingers across it you can still fell the raised ribs

Here is a partial one from last summer.

20180623_092253.jpg

I stumbled across the following website product page and thought of this thread. It may be another option. The seller specializes in Buick GN parts but looks like he could do anything if you had the dimensions for him to cut out the material. Either black anodized aluminum with laser-etching to expose the silver, or imitation silver aluminum etched to expose black underneath.

Console Kits

Back