66 dodge monaco wheel and tire sources

Labradorian

Reaction score
hello
Yes, im also searching these forums for some answers but need some suggestions....and confirmation on info.

looking to replace tires and wheels on my 66 dodge monaco. tires are 10yrs or so old and the steel rims are original as far as I know. this was my dads car(original owner)
It appears that steel wheels for this car are not easy to find.

wheel size is 14 x 5.5
bolt pattern 5x4.5

OEM tire size 8.25x14??
which i believe equates to a P215/75R14 or P225/70R14

1. first things first, can someone please confirm original tire size for this car. is it 8.55x14 or 8.25x14? info i have is conflicting.

2. i have P215/75R14's on the car right now but i find them to skinny. need a wider profile tire to improve handling.
What are you guys running for tires on a car like this or a similar car. ? I think i prefer a whitewall tire which might limit my options.

3. For Wheels, can you still get 14" steel wheels with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern for this car. I still want to use the original wheel covers.

Im also open to an aftermarket wheel tire combination that have the classic look, maybe chrome spoked wheels might look good with white walls.

Im also looking in parallel here, interested to see what other people are putting on their monacos and fury's and other similar cars.

thanks
glen

If you are going to convert to Disc brakes in the front you will need to switch to 15 inch wheels.

at the moment i have no plans on switching to disc brakes but i will keep this in mind when i do, thanks for the tip.

cheers

14" tires in a size suitable for a C-body are $$$ Coker reproduction.

If you plan on driving the car more than looking at it then it's time for 15" in a 235/70 or 235/75 on 4 corners or if you need some traction, 275/60 on the rear.

If you like the stock "correct" look, you could try and find some original disc brake hub caps and a set of steel 15" rims off just about any Mopar or go with Wheel Vintique repro steel wheels in 15x7. I prefer 15x8 with a 275/60.

If you can find a set of C-body Road Wheels, they look good too.

While a Magnum 500 type wheel wasn't available on a 66, they do look like they belong. These are 15x7 with 235/70 all around.

Kevin
IMG_20150615_123919054shrunk.jpg

Ran into the same problem looking for 14" steel rims for my '66 while restoring the originals. Most did not have a large enough center bore. Believe it or not trailer wheels come in the original bolt pattern and 14"x6". Found some for $40 ea. Mounted hankook optimos 225's. Largest available in a 14" without going to Coker. Going to 15" will give you many more choices.

Wheels

14" tires in a size suitable for a C-body are $$$ Coker reproduction.

If you plan on driving the car more than looking at it then it's time for 15" in a 235/70 or 235/75 on 4 corners or if you need some traction, 275/60 on the rear.

If you like the stock "correct" look, you could try and find some original disc brake hub caps and a set of steel 15" rims off just about any Mopar or go with Wheel Vintique repro steel wheels in 15x7. I prefer 15x8 with a 275/60.

If you can find a set of C-body Road Wheels, they look good too.

While a Magnum 500 type wheel wasn't available on a 66, they do look like they belong. These are 15x7 with 235/70 all around.

KevinView attachment 75751

Hi Kevin
thanks for your reply, excellent info. Now i understand why some guys are switching to disc and 15" wheels.
Here's a couple of questions. With the current bolt pattern(5x4.5), can i put 15" rims on this car? or does the hubs need to switched out.
I have to ask, what are C-body Road wheels exactly.

Ran into the same problem looking for 14" steel rims for my '66 while restoring the originals. Most did not have a large enough center bore. Believe it or not trailer wheels come in the original bolt pattern and 14"x6". Found some for $40 ea. Mounted hankook optimos 225's. Largest available in a 14" without going to Coker. Going to 15" will give you many more choices.
Wheels
So with these trailer wheels, I can still install wheel covers? the rims are essentially the same? Are they meant for passenger vehicles? I'm just curious why they are available for trailers and not listed for passenger vehicles. Sounds like they are working for you.

And thanks for this info. this is a little frustrating nailing down some rim and tires for this car.

15x7 Magnum-style (as said above, wrong but very appropriate) with
235/75-15's.
Will look great, be appropriate, won't bankrupt you, leaves you open to more options down the road.
In the 80's, there was an adage, No one ever got fired for choosing IBM.
Same for the above.

Edit. Wheel size corrected.

Last edited:
14x7-15's Magnum-style (as said above, wrong but very appropriate) with
235/75-15's.
Will look great, be appropriate, won't bankrupt you, leaves you open to more options down the road.
In the 80's, there was an adage, No one ever got fired for choosing IBM.
Same for the above.

so will a 15x7 wheels mount on my car as it is? it is stock.

Hi Kevin
thanks for your reply, excellent info. Now i understand why some guys are switching to disc and 15" wheels.
Here's a couple of questions. With the current bolt pattern(5x4.5), can i put 15" rims on this car? or does the hubs need to switched out.
I have to ask, what are C-body Road wheels exactly.

So with these trailer wheels, I can still install wheel covers? the rims are essentially the same? Are they meant for passenger vehicles? I'm just curious why they are available for trailers and not listed for passenger vehicles. Sounds like they are working for you.

And thanks for this info. this is a little frustrating nailing down some rim and tires for this car.

Here are the factory covers on the new rims. Works good so far. Have magnums to go on shortly.
image.jpeg

Here are the factory covers on the new rims. Works good so far. Have magnums to go on shortly.
View attachment 75768
so these are the 14" trailer rims you mentioned earlier? right on. I really want to use my original wheel covers, but if i upsize to 15" wheels i can't use them.

thanks
glen

so these are the 14" trailer rims you mentioned earlier? right on. I really want to use my original wheel covers, but if i upside to 15" wheels i can't use them.

2015-05-18 13.04.11.jpg

so these are the 14" trailer rims you mentioned earlier? right on. I really want to use my original wheel covers, but if i upside to 15" wheels i can't use them.

Ya I wanted to keep the factory look while i restore the originals but ive come across a few sets since that i may upgrade to.

image.jpeg

Road wheels on left magnums in the middle and 79 Cordoba rims on right so have to decide which to use

Ya I wanted to keep the factory look while i restore the originals but ive come across a few sets since that i may upgrade to.

View attachment 75771

Road wheels on left magnums in the middle and 79 Cordoba rims on right so have to decide which to use
excellent! thanks for the help!! I have owned this car for 2 years my father is the original owner so im still getting up to speed on these old dogs.

cheers

Good on you keeping it in the family. I am sure your dad would be proud I know I would be. :thumbsup:

Back