66 Fury Disk/ Drum spindle difference?

Double D

Reaction score
Hello
I've got a 66 Plymouth Fury with factory disk brakes and spindles. I'm looking to go aftermarket "Wilwood or any other performance brake" but can only find kits for aftermarket drum spindles. My question is there any difference in drum and disk spindles? Or is there a bolt on aftermarket for a factory disk spindle? Car is going to be running E-85 with a 500 stroker.
20211104_121616.jpg

The disc brake spindles are unique to the disc brake setup, lower ball joint is unique to the disc setup as well. No one I know of makes a disc setup to convert from factory discs to after market discs. Your '66 would have had Budd dual piston calipers from the factory. The rotors and pads for these systems are very hard to find and the lower ball joints are nonexistent.
You can replace the Budd brake system with the '69-'73 single piston setup. This will entail replacing the lower ball joints, spindles, calipers, rotors and pads. The brake hoses will also be different and you would also need a dual pot master cylinder and proportioning valve. A fair amount of work.

If you are set on replacing the factory disc setup with an after market setup, you could also source a pair of drum spindles and lower ball joints and build the after market system from there. Be sure to do your homework, as the quality of after market conversions varies greatly. Pretty much none of them are the equal of the factory disc setups.

If you decide to rebuild your Budd brake system, Craig at mobileparts, a vendor on this site, might be able to help with parts.

Dave

If you want to go with the Wilwoods, you just need a set of drum spindles and drum lower ball joints.

The cheapest route is to install factory 1969 to 1973 discs on the front.

I probably have a spare set of drum spindles in my parts collection.

I am also considering putting one of my sets of 1973 disc spindles up for sale.

Jeff

(What's different?)

As a cost saving measure Mopar used a thicker spindle on the '73 C-Bodies, same size bearings as the one that was used on some vans and pickups. Inner wheel bearing was heavier and the inner bearing cavity on the rotor was enlarged to accommodate the larger inner bearing. The use of commonly used pick up and van parts got rid of the need for a specialty sized spindle for the C-Body. Parts commonality as it was known. The market for large cars like the C-Body had collapsed with the higher fuel prices and fuel shortages during and after the Arab oil embargo and Chrysler corporation was cost cutting everywhere it could, so machining the C-Body spindle to the same size as van/pickups saved machining costs.

Dave

Last edited:
in 1957 chrysler started putting truck brakes on the police taxi package------it was a natural carryover to use those brake components on the c-bodies.....

(What's different?)
Agree with Dave. Rotors are easier find because the same rotors were used on vans and pickups in the mid to later 70s. Calipers and pads are same across 1969-1973. I should have said, "Rotors and bearings are easier to find."

Hello
I've got a 66 Plymouth Fury with factory disk brakes and spindles. I'm looking to go aftermarket "Wilwood or any other performance brake" but can only find kits for aftermarket drum spindles. My question is there any difference in drum and disk spindles? Or is there a bolt on aftermarket for a factory disk spindle? Car is going to be running E-85 with a 500 stroker. View attachment 495966
what did you decide on?

Back