'66 Fury III clutch linkage question....

butchr66

Reaction score
Day before yesterday was heading to work. Round 90mph on rt.22 I heard a clank and figured I ran over something on the road. Then I touched the clutch with my shin and "CLUNK" it snapped down to the floor! UH OH! Slowed down and blew a couple stops but made it to work in 3rd.

Lunchbreak I found the fork rod hanging with about a 4in. 3/8-24 threaded sleeve and a jam nut and nothing on the fork....even the fork return spring was missing.

I fabbed a concave washer and a convex washer on the lathe (when I shoulda been working hehe) and held it all together with a too long of a bolt and lockwasher. And no return spring..... She made the 24mi voyage home rigged up like this but obviously clutch is slipping in 2nd and 3rd a bit.

My question is.... does anyone have any pics of how this linkage is supposed to look? Book is showing in order from the z bar....fork rod, locknut, washer, insulator, fork. Does anything hold it to the fork or is it just fork return spring pressure? (which is also missing) Also, does anyone have dimensions and info on the washer, insulator and return spring? Work tomorrow so no time to order parts so I figure I'll limp it to work and make them and I could prolly run over to napa and get a workable spring as long as I have an idea what size to get.

Thanks!

Book is showing in order from the z bar....fork rod, locknut, washer, insulator, fork. Does anything hold it to the fork or is it just fork return spring pressure?

The above quote is what I recall my setup is like. Nothing is holding things together other than the return spring, which I find a little disheartening after looking at it. I've thought about attaching a lanyard to the rod just in the off-chance the rod manages to dislodge itself. If I can remember when I get home, I'll try to get a photo.

When everything is working properly and you are using all the correct parts installed correctly, all you need is the nut and washer on the threaded rod pressing against the bushing on the end of the fork. There should be a minimum of 1" of threaded rod sticking through the fork. It will work perfectly and without fail. If the threaded rod needs additional hardware then something is not correct.

Posted via Topify on Android

Got a couple of poor photos (too lazy to crawl under...), but hopefully you can see enough to make sense of it.
IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Way too close

We lose the ability to focus near and far the older we get

Yeah how bout it!! Anything closer than 8 or 9in is a blur. Couldn't jack the bastard up high enough and couldn't push the back of my head into the pavement any deeper. Stupid eyes!!!

Got a couple of poor photos (too lazy to crawl under...), but hopefully you can see enough to make sense of it.
IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Aha!!! Ok I dig it now. Wish I could see the return spring a lil better though but I got the jist of it. Found springs for A, B, and E bodies but not my red headed stepchild C body. ugh

See that? Nothing attaching the rod to the fork. Just simple pressure.
Keep it adjusted and it will never fall out despite how old the car.

See that? Nothing attaching the rod to the fork. Just simple pressure.
Keep it adjusted and it will never fall out despite how old the car.

Roger that! Ordered all I need from Brewers for about 50 bucks. Still leery of nothing behind it though. That trip to work with the pedal stuck to the floor was a big steaming pile of not cool!

Got the kit yesterday from brewers and looks good. Install tomorrow 6am. Got the 10.5in clutch rod so I'm thinking maybe I'll drill and clevis pin it. I really aint cool with blowing stoplights and signs in my frail dotage these days.

......oh and I wasn't nuts about that wimpy looking plastic "insulator" so I spun one out of aluminum on the lathe at work today. I'll try out what they sent but I'll have backups in the trunk like always.

Back