'66 fury iii gas tank help

Joefury

Reaction score
Hey guys--can you buy new gas tanks for a '66 fury iii ? I can't seem to locate a new one. I'm not opposed to a poly tank, but I can't find it either.

Thanks! Probably a good deal!

So, does this mean you can't find new/reproduction tanks for a 66 fury iii?

I READ in a forum that I can't recall, that there is no difference between the 66 and 67 tank. Just the fuel Iine setup is different. I only read it.

Posted via Topify on Android

I sold a guy a gas tank from a 68 plymouth fury to go into his 66 it fits no problem.........

Just make sure the filler hole is offset. I have a brand new 68-70 B Body tank and sender sitting in the box because I believed someone's comment that it would fit. Ended up getting my original tank cleaned and lined which cost about the same as buying a new one.

Right. I have heard the same thing that a b body tank fits c bodys if modified. The 66 c body for some reason doesn't show a compatible tank listing...... but it's the same as 67-72 c bodys. Just get the correct number of vents.

Just make sure the filler hole is offset. I have a brand new 68-70 B Body tank and sender sitting in the box because I believed someone's comment that it would fit. Ended up getting my original tank cleaned and lined which cost about the same as buying a new one.

I think that's the fourth time this week somebody has said " I bought a B-body [ fill in the blank ] and it didn't fit.
Of course it didn't. Never ask for C-body advice on Moparts.

Last edited:
Right. I have heard the same thing that a b body tank fits c bodys if modified. The 66 c body for some reason doesn't show a compatible tank listing...... but it's the same as 67-72 c bodys. Just get the correct number of vents.

Ok-that sounds like what I need to do. Thanks guys-when I get around to repairing or replacing the tank I'll post some pics!

Decided to take the tank to the ol' radiator shop and let them "boil" it out plus he's gonna apply "red kote" to the inside. He said it would be better than brand new when he's finished.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

photo_001.jpg

Can't wait for pics of the result.
He is going to remove the sending unit first, right?

Last edited:
Yes-actually I took it out before I gave it to him.
Check this out..... It was quite rusty:

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

If it worked and was accurate before, soak it in a container filled with vinegar and lemon juice for a day. The results will amaze you

Search posts a few months ago. I have been holding off on a fuel tank for my 65 Newport for years because new ones are $300 (see ebay). Several people said a B-body tank fit fine, and they cost ~$150. They said the straps didn't match the depressions, but no worry. I recall several photos. Of course, 66 may differ.

I put a b-body gas tank on my 68 Fury didn't have no problems at all. Notice how the straps are offset this allows room for the exhaust to run between the frame and the tank.005.jpg

005.jpg

Back