66 fury power steering pump help

HOT FURY

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I need to rebuild my power steering pump but reading the forums and looking online for rebuild kits seem to confuse things more since different terminology is used. Based on the descriptive picture comparing the federal vs the trw pump it looks like mine is the trw. My question is the one on my 66 sport fury currently is the 5.1" reservoir(see 1st two pics) but I also have one taken off another 66 fury I parted out that is the 4.6" reservoir(2nd two pics). I have all the brackets for the smaller reservoir and would like to rebuild that one then swap it out. When looking online for rebuild kits everything seems to reference option 1 "slotted or hex end shaft" or option 2 "plain end shaft". Anyone know what rebuild kit and shaft seal I would need for the trw small style pump I have and also what high pressure hose for my factory steering gear box?

I don't want to do any power steering upgrades at this time since I have the expense of a 4 wheel disc brake system I just bought and still need to get wheels/tires to accommodate plus redoing the interior seat upholstery in a couple weeks. Just want to fix the excessive leak that just started.

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5113.jpeg

IMG_5114.jpeg

Have you consulted the appropriate factory service manual? Might be some more definitive images in there, possibly.

Where is the leak? Is the fluid "red"? IF the fluid is red and smells of "automatic transmission fluid", getting some real power steering fluid, swapping it out, might make the leak less massive, from my experiences. I like to use what used to be GM 1050017 Power Steering Fluid. It's clear and waxy looking.

It might well be that the pressure hoses and the same between the Federal and TRW pumps? Check the appropriate Chrysler Parts book to verify. www.mymopar.com for the service manuals and parts book downloads. Might even be some YouTube videos! I know there is one for the correct functioning of the power steering mounting bracket and how to correctly adjust the belt with it.

Just some experiences,
CBODY67

Ive read the manual and want to order the rebuild kit to fix the leak not make it less. The issue is everyone who sells the rebuild kits uses different terminology than the OE literature or info I've found. Probably just going to order the couple different rebuild kits and shaft seals then figure out which ones I need once I get it apart since they aren't very expensive unless I can figure out which one I need for the small trw pump

The parts manual shows 2 different pumps for the Fury, which is what you have.

One with a 4 5/8" reservoir and a 5 1/8" reservoir.

This pump has the "hex shaft end". Looks like you can insert an Allen wrench into it.

1649016600858.png

This pump has the "plain shaft end" You can't insert the Allen wrench into it (LOL)

1649016732339.png

Buy the kit for the plain shaft end.

The parts manual shows 2 different pumps for the Fury, which is what you have.

One with a 4 5/8" reservoir and a 5 1/8" reservoir.

This pump has the "hex shaft end". Looks like you can insert an Allen wrench into it.

View attachment 523933

This pump has the "plain shaft end" You can't insert the Allen wrench into it (LOL)

View attachment 523934

Buy the kit for the plain shaft end.
lol I knew it was something simple just kept throwing me off everyone talking so many different tangents and types, etc

So I need to rebuild my power steering pump but reading the forums and looking online for rebuild kits seem to confuse things more since different terminology is used. Based on the descriptive picture comparing the federal vs the trw pump it looks like mine is the trw. My question is the one on my 66 sport fury currently is the 5.1" reservoir(see 1st two pics) but I also have one taken off another 66 fury I parted out that is the 4.6" reservoir(2nd two pics). I have all the brackets for the smaller reservoir and would like to rebuild that one then swap it out. When looking online for rebuild kits everything seems to reference option 1 "slotted or hex end shaft" or option 2 "plain end shaft". Anyone know what rebuild kit and shaft seal I would need for the trw small style pump I have and also what high pressure hose for my factory steering gear box?

I don't want to do any power steering upgrades at this time since I have the expense of a 4 wheel disc brake system I just bought and still need to get wheels/tires to accommodate plus redoing the interior seat upholstery in a couple weeks. Just want to fix the excessive leak that just started.

View attachment 523825

View attachment 523826

View attachment 523827

View attachment 523828
Before you do your rear wheel disc brakes, make sure whatever rims your going to use will work (back spacing). I put rear wheel disc in my 65 Fury and say it was a nightmare would be putting it mildly!

Before you do your rear wheel disc brakes, make sure whatever rims your going to use will work (back spacing). I put rear wheel disc in my 65 Fury and say it was a nightmare would be putting it mildly!
gotcha yea I bought a Wilwood set front and back. I'm going to install the brakes then order the rims to fit, I've narrowed it down to a couple different ones but should be good. Wilwood is good about giving diagrams with brake dimension/clearance measurements and I'll take some exact offset measurements once installed.

gotcha yea I bought a Wilwood set front and back. I'm going to install the brakes then order the rims to fit, I've narrowed it down to a couple different ones but should be good. Wilwood is good about giving diagrams with brake dimension/clearance measurements and I'll take some exact offset measurements once installed.
Again a word of caution, check the rims BEFORE the install on the back unless your going with 15" rims then it should not be a problem. I wanted to retain the original skirts, rims/hubcaps, 14", and before all was said and done I got ripped for new axles after having to put in shims - took four different shops who all said they could do the job; promises, promises (I'm to damn old to want to do it myself nor do I have the facilities). My discs are also Wilwood.

Yea I'll be going with a 15"inch aluminum aftermarket wheel and plan to install the brakes myself. Ive installed their kits before and they seem to be some of the best direct install setups out of the systems I've seen out there but there's always been hiccups somewhere along the line when I've done them like most "direct bolt" anything aftermarket.

Back