'66 Fury Reverse Lights only come on in Neutral

pinkiedog64

Reaction score
Relatively new-to-me '66 Fury III Wagon, 383 2bbl, 727. Problem is reverse lights come on in Neutral, not Reverse. They come on only in Neutral (they are off in all other gear positions). The neutral safety switch seems to work as I can start the car only in Park or Neutral (it will not start in R, D, 2, or 1).

I understand there is a "rooster comb" in the transmission that engages the detent button of the neutral safety switch. I did just have the pan off for band adjustment and filter replacement, but I didn't touch the rooster comb.

Is the issue with the the rooster comb, or is there another adjustment (perhaps related to the column shifter)?

Thanks,

Stephan

There is an adjustable switch on the bottom of the steering column. They are finicky.

You will likely want to follow the procedure in the service manual. There is a little hole that you need to insert a small rod or drill bit (can’t remember the size). This will hold the switch mechanism in the proper place. Then you slide the switch until it touches the reverse switch pin and tighten.
I can’t remember if it is adjusted in park or neutral.

Got the switch adjusted so they only come in Reverse now. Looked in the FSM for the adjustment procedure but couldn't find it. The closest I found was a part in the transmission section about removing the steering column. But, getting it adjusted wasn't hard. Loosened the three bolts that hold the switch to the steering column through the slotted holes. Unplugged the connector going to the switch (violet and violet with white stripe). Checked for continuity with multimeter with the column shifter in Reverse and moved the switch until the meter indicated the switch was closed then tightened down the hardware.

Back