66 fury wagon question

66furywagon

Reaction score
The blue wire with white trace
Goes from the bulk head to the ballest resistor.
If that wire is broke or damaged
Will it give the car a no start/ a dead battery symptom but its not the battery
No power in side the car no dome light.
Nothing when u turn the key.

The blue wire with white trace
Goes from the bulk head to the ballest resistor.
If that wire is broke or damaged
Will it give the car a no start/ a dead battery symptom but its not the battery
No power in side the car no dome light.
Nothing when u turn the key.

That wire could cause a no run after a start, but it would not cause no power to the ignition as it is powered by the ignition switch. Check the small lead from the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid lug, odds are the fusible link is bad. You can test for this by running a wire with alligator clips from the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid lug. If you then have power inside, the fusible link is bad. If you still do not have power inside, check the firewall plug for corrosion, if corroded clean it up and see what you have. The other possibility is that your ammeter has toasted itself and no longer completes the power circuit. You can test for this with alligator clips to each of two ammeter terminals to span it, if you then have power, the ammeter is open and will need to be bypassed or replaced.

Dave

That wire could cause a no run after a start, but it would not cause no power to the ignition as it is powered by the ignition switch. Check the small lead from the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid lug, odds are the fusible link is bad. You can test for this by running a wire with alligator clips from the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid lug. If you then have power inside, the fusible link is bad. If you still do not have power inside, check the firewall plug for corrosion, if corroded clean it up and see what you have. The other possibility is that your ammeter has toasted itself and no longer completes the power circuit. You can test for this with alligator clips to each of two ammeter terminals to span it, if you then have power, the ammeter is open and will need to
Thank u

As a followup, be sure the battery cables are clean as that is the leading cause of no power in damp cold weather.

Dave

As a followup, be sure the battery cables are clean as that is the leading cause of no power in damp cold weather.

Dave
Dave i have already replaced the main cable from the battery to the starter relay lug
All terms are clean and new

Dave i have already replaced the main cable from the battery to the starter relay lug
All terms are clean and new

There will usually be a red wire that goes from the starter relay lug to the firewall plug. Take a test light and see if that lead is hot to the plug.

Dave

If the lead is hot to the plug, test the inside of the plug to see if power is getting thru. If you have power inside the plug, you likely have a bad ammeter, a common failure.

Dave

The "big red wire" (10 gauge wire?) goes from the inside of the bulkhead connector to the ignition switch. The terminal on the inside of the bulkhead connector came to be loose on my '67 Newport, resulting in temporary no-start, until I learned to check there first (plugging it back onto the bulkhead terminal inside).

The cables might be new, but a thin layer of corrosion can still develop between the cable end and the battery terminal. Which CAN cause a no-start condition. Might be hard to see until you take off the cable end at the battery and then see it . . . from my own experiences. But to look at it, it looked like nothing was wrong.

CBODY67

Back