'66 Imperial convertible quarter window motor service

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to attack the "stuck-down" driver's rear quarter window problem. I do have a digital copy of the FSM, since I can't find my hardcopy anywhere. Any tips on getting that big interior trim out of the car, once the seat is removed? I've had the door motors out, and those were not a big issue, The rears? I'm going to do both rears, since the seat will be out. The RR window works, but it works very slowly.

When I've serviced the quarter windows it was at the same time as I had replaced the top pistons and top motor. I therefore had both the back seat cushion and backrest removed (take the solid piece that goes across the top of the seatback off first-and don't forget the speaker wires attached to it). The seat cushion comes out easily, the seat back has to be coaxed UPWARDS and then forward: BE CAREFUL not to scratch either side interior panels, which will still be in when you do this part. Just keep track of everything. Not rocket science-I had the book but essentially felt my way through it, step by step. Step 1 DISCONNECT the battery right after you position the front seats in their most forward position. Have fun, and take your time. As it happens, I'm going to have to do this again very soon as I am replacing the windlace trim .

Last edited:
Back