66 New Yorker 440 info

uwood1955

Reaction score
Hi, I need some 440 engine info, the power steering pump on my 66 New Yorker shakes and
bounces, wobbles like it needs a bracket or something attached to the driver side head or exhaust manifold to firm it up.. I've searched for pics of that location but have come up empty.
Is there a bracket that I'm missing ??? The guy I bought the car from was not mechanically
inclined , so no telling. I thought I would fabricate something if not available. The fan belts and pump appear to be in line and nothing bent or out of wack. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Lump

A photo of the power steering pump and its mount may be of some assistance here.......

Many of the power steering mounts of that era had a rubber bushing incorporated into the mount. I suspect yours has failed. Loosen the power steering belt and shake the pump and mount, you should be able to see where the slack is coming from. The rubber bushing in the Federal mount deteriorated over time and got loose. Replacement bushings are available on line. Sometimes, the pump brackets are improperly adjusted. If you google "Chrysler power steering 61-68 style" there is a u-tube video that shows how to adjust the pump bracket properly.

Dave

Last edited:
Many of the power steering mounts of that era had a rubber bushing incorporated into the mount. I suspect yours has failed. Loosen the power steering belt and shake the pump and mount, you should be able to see where the slack is coming from. The rubber bushing in the Federal mount deteriorated over time and got loose. Replacement bushings are available on line.

Dave
Just to add to that, the mount was designed with a pivot. As the load on the pump increased, the pump would pivot so the pulley would actually tighten against the belt, preventing it from slipping. In addition to the rubber bushing deteriorating, another problem is that the holes for the shaft or bolt that the bracket pivots on wear out and get larger.

Just to add to that, the mount was designed with a pivot. As the load on the pump increased, the pump would pivot so the pulley would actually tighten against the belt, preventing it from slipping. In addition to the rubber bushing deteriorating, another problem is that the holes for the shaft or bolt that the bracket pivots on wear out and get larger.

Yup - I had to fabricate a bracket to prevent the PS Pump from losing belt tension as the rubber wedge was nowhere to be seen one day. To this day I still wonder how long before it wears the bearings out.

That is the worst PS pump mounting I have ever encountered. Designed by Rube Goldberg. You never feel comfortable that you set the tension properly.

I have a few of the Power steering bracket "snubbers" New ,10.00 each+ postage. PM me if interested

In my earlier dealings with out '66 Newport 383, when it was still a "used car", I never really liked that the power steering belt couldn't be adjusted as tight as the other belts were. That was still while the pump was sitting "as produced" (i.e., "straight"). When we got the other belts replaced, plus the power steering pump, I wasn't happy with how "loose" the power steering pump belt was, in comparison. The mechanic at the service station, who also had spent some time at the Chrysler dealer down the street, noted that you didn't WANT it to be as tight, as it would cause the bracket "to wear". I didn't know about that! Until years later!

He showed me how the pump would lean into the belt, when pump demands increased, like "against the stops" at full pressure, and I was amazed at that. Looser basic belt tension, leaned into it when needed so that the belt didn't squeal like almost all GMs did back then.

As the car aged, the pump angled more from the engine, BUT the belt never came off and the pump still leaned into the belt under load. Pretty DAMN slick, I thought!

When the pump initially started leaning, I asked the old-line Chrysler service manager about it. He mentioned the bushing in there that aged and mentioned that on most, they welded the bracket so it's sit straight and "make people happy". As long as I knew what was going on, with the "lean", I opted to leave it as it was. AND it still is!

I figured it was a '66 era "thing", but recently found a MasterTech video which noted that it went all the way back to about 1960. I think it generally ended with the '67 model year? The video had full pictures and explanation of how it worked.

SO . . . understanding Chrysler's masterful engineering (which is many times misunderstood, by observation!) to a common problem (belt squeal), I have NO problem with what they did or the fact that in its more aged condition, might look funny but still work as designed.

The OTHER dynamic is that power steering belts, on that car, were changed MUCH LESS frequently due to mileage or wear than on a normal car of that era. With a normal bracket, a pump belt run that loose definitely would squeal under the same conditions.

CBODY67

I have a few of the Power steering bracket "snubbers" New ,10.00 each+ postage. PM me if interested.
Now with Picture !

PTDC0155 (2).JPG

FWIW those snubbers really help, plus making sure the pivot holes are not worn out of round.

That's the same snubber used on some brake and clutch pedal brackets to cushion the pedal return.

There are so many of those brackets running around with a block of wood wedged into them that the wood block should have a Chrysler part # on it.

Kevin

HA!
And the flipside of that - the $40k 'showcars' at the brokerage houses with the tell-tale belt-rub on the water pump pulley.
I'm guilty of the wood block thing - until I learned about how this bracket system is supposed to work. Now I shove a small rubber block in instead. :p

SO . . . understanding Chrysler's masterful engineering (which is many times misunderstood, by observation!) to a common problem (belt squeal), I have NO problem with what they did or the fact that in its more aged condition, might look funny but still work as designed.

The OTHER dynamic is that power steering belts, on that car, were changed MUCH LESS frequently due to mileage or wear than on a normal car of that era. With a normal bracket, a pump belt run that loose definitely would squeal under the same conditions.

CBODY67
This bracket system is definitely an engineering accomplishment.
Now that you mention that, of all the old C-bodies I've revived, I've changed many alternator belts due to wear - but never a PS belt. I've changed them simply because I was putting new alternator belts on.

Back