Also, today I fixed my ignition switch, which had rotated due to a sheared off alignment pin, and I rewired my map light, which someone had buggered up profoundly. Really cool to have a working map light again.
I had to use a butt connector to repair the yellow wire that goes to the bulb - someone was using a "wire nut" to hold them together and it came apart (of course). And then the other yellow wire which is coming from the passenger door jam switch was lost under the dash and I had to fish it out with some bailing wire. Luckily at some point in the distant past, a PO hacked up the glove box just enough to unscrew a few screws and pull part of the glove box out, giving me the room to reach in, grab the yellow wire and fishing wire, tie them together, and then fish them back over to the hole in the center of the dash where the map light lives.
The terminals on the switch itself are riveted and crimped, and both yellow wires had torn out. I did some surgery to open up the crimps a bit, get rid of the remaining insulation, and then I soldered the wires back onto the terminals. It was a bit tricky since I was fighting gravity, but the dual ashtray/coin tray saved the day and provided a surface for the light to rest on while I soldered.