66 newport engine

newportmopar66

Reaction score
hello all.i just got a 66 2 door newport yesterday,it has a 383 2 bbl it has oil coming out the breather. it leaks,runs alote hotter than my 318 that was in my dart .id like to keep the original engine but at the same time id like to find a 440 to build for it.more torgue sense u guys know these cars best whats the best engine and performance upgrades to go with and the best fuel milage yeah rite haha.is one engine more efficeint?maybe a 383 or 400 with a 2 bbl?or is the 2 bbl vs 4 bbl any better on gas milage?im retaining the a/c it has power brakes also.although i do a have a crane cams reserve tank laying around.this thing needs all the power it can get to move this land yaght lol.

newport 1.jpgnewport 2.jpgnewport 3.jpgnewport 4.jpgnewport 5.jpg

newport 1.jpg

newport 2.jpg

newport 3.jpg

newport 4.jpg

newport 5.jpg

That is one cool car. I'd throw a modern fuel injected Hemi in it but a few here may disagree.

Hey, welcome to the insane asylum. Nice wheels.... If your not looking to cash in the ol 401k yet or just simply bucks down my choice would be 383 or 440 power (I'm running a healthy 383 in my Newport). Both respond well to sensible upgrades..ya don't have to spend a truck load a dough to make up something ur right foot will absolutely love.
Ya definatley have to start by tossing the 2bbl though.

Last edited:
I know you would......you suck..... but I cant wait to see your Imperial done.

Hands down, a low deck BB 2 bbl can not be beat in a Slab. Rumbly duals. Just don't raise the hood.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

its been lowered 2'' in back already, i wouldnt wanna put a small wanna be hemi in a real chrysler,lol i was thinking 440 maybe a 452 and with a whiplash or xe268 cam i have some brand new 2 1/2 original flowmaster 40's that have been looking for the right project about 8 mopars later now they have met there match,whats the best header for these cars ive been in the a body scene for years this is a new world for me 78030 hedmans or shorties.im on a budget or id find some 440 hp manifolds

Budget? h.p. manifolds are the way to go. Otherwise you have to go with the TTi headers

what about the hedman 78030 ones it says they fit if u type in 66 newport headers its the only ones that come up.

i found a 77 440 complete im thinking of bearing/gasket/ring rebuild but put some 2355 6 pack pistons in it which with 88 cc heads ill have a little over 9.1 compression,add the xe268 cam kit and a rpm or performer intake with a 750 holley or eddy headers and dual exhause this tank should move good i like the way the xe268 sounds just a little lope to it sounds muscle

Back