66 newport heater core replacement

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, finally got my electronic problems figured out, now in need to replace heater core, since this is going to be my daily driver. Anybody have a tips or done this, what do I have to take apart. It's a 383 A/c car. Thanks

Here's what you are looking at under the dash. Might give you a better idea of what you are dealing with. Good luck.
PXL_20211101_142815665.jpg
PXL_20211101_142822972.jpg
PXL_20211101_142829379.jpg

The only real difference I see in that picture from a 68 is the plastic that screws to the front of the box. My 68 manual says you can change the heater core without removing the whole box. I would've loved to see that in the process. I cannot imagine how. I don't have mine back in yet due to many issues (some related to the project, others just life in general).

Here's a link to the heater core I ended up installing. You will need to drill a hole or two in the mounting plate to mount it, but the "plumbing" is correct. The first one I bought the tube for the coolant was too long. Brian Bell at Mt. Heaterbox advised that I replace the "h" valve as well. So, I did that too. H valve, the company that sells this H valve also sells heater cores, but it was the one that the tube was too long on for my 68.

You can also buy an insulation kit from DMT which is very complete. I think you will get it quicker if you either call or order it from their website, you could order it through ebay is why I say that.

Drink an extra cup of patience before you start.

Wow, you have all that under the dash just to access heater core, appreciate the pictures, give me a idea what I'm up against. So everything comes out from inside then huh? Did you have dash out already to work on core?

Wow, you have all that under the dash just to access heater core, appreciate the pictures, give me a idea what I'm up against. So everything comes out from inside then huh? Did you have dash out already to work on core?
Yes the dash is out because it's a parts car.

On a 68 in order to remove the box there are a few things that must be done under the hood.
  1. There is a small vacuum line that comes off the back of the manifold with the vacuum for the power brake booster. Pull through to inside of car.
  2. AC lines disconnected
  3. Heater hoses disconnected
  4. Disconnect and remove heater blower/fan
  5. Remove 5 nuts that hold box to firewall.

Sounds like a weekend project, appreciate all the tips and pictures.

Hey Newport 664door,

How did you make out? How long did it take you? I'm curious on the time it takes as I am debating to do the work now or next winter. Couldn't find standard shop hours for this task, although I hear it is daunting. thanks,
Mike

Back