66 Newport w/383 manual trans. swap?

66newport

Reaction score
Down at the shop today working on the 66 Newport and and had a thought of swapping the 727 for a manual transmission. Came home to see if they made any and it looks like they were 3 on the tree or 3 speed auto? Thought I'd ask the wealth of knowledge here if there would be a manual transmission setup from something else that would be a fitting swap? I can go to the 'you-pull-it' yard here and have any manual transmission for $85 or less, I just don't know what to be out there looking for. Anyone know a short list of strong manual transmission that would be a good fit? Possibly a 4 speed?

Ma Mopar put A833 4 speeds in C-bodies and used alot of the same hardware as the B-bodies. The C-body clutch pedal assembly is probably different from the b-body though. Others will probably expand on this, but if your patient in your search for parts it shouldn't be too hard to come up with all that you need.

C-body clutch & pedal assemblies are near possible to find. Plus, there are two different ones. One for manual brakes and one for power brakes. They are out there but it's going to take persistant searching of eBay and the For Sale sections of all the Mopar C-body forums. Asking for one under Parts Wanted should be done. You're also going to need the bracket that is WELDED to the subframe that the Z-bar is connected to. You do that and the rest will be a piece of cake. The hump for the transmission tunnel to accomodate the shifter is avaialble new from one source and one source only. Add that to your inventory immediately. You have to have it.
Forget about finding any of the stuff you need at a yard. Picked clean down to the bone long ago. The A833 4 speed tranny you need are around 1000 bucks rebuilt. You want a rebuilt one because they are 50 years old. Craigslist is a good source of the 4 speeds of used ones for around 3-5 hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Commando, how long did it take you to do your 4 speed project?

Commando, how long did it take you to do your 4 speed project?
In a 60 Ford: Less than a week.
In a '66 Fury: It was part of an engine/tranny transplant so it was about 2 weeks.
In a '76 New Yorker: 10 months....:angry3: But everything was experimental and custom fabrication. To do it again? Less than a week...
Friends tell me that in a tri-5 Chevy...about an hour. :laughing6:
Why did my father have to drive Chryslers? The last 45 years would have been so much easier for me if he hadn't....

Last edited:
In a 60 Ford: Less than a week.
In a '66 Fury: It was part of an engine/tranny transplant so it was about 2 weeks.
In a '76 New Yorker: 10 months....:angry3: But everything was experimental and custom fabrication. To do it again? Less than a week...
Friends tell me that in a tri-5 Chevy...about an hour. :laughing6:
Why did my father have to drive Chryslers? The last 45 years would have been so much easier for me if he hadn't....

You do very good fabrication!!! That New Yorker was over the top. Have you received any updates from the new owner?

You do very good fabrication!!! That New Yorker was over the top. Have you received any updates from the new owner?
Yes. We stay in constant touch.
He absolutely LOVES the car and he's finished it up by spending some time under the dash, new exhaust and new seat covers and carpeting.
He's a top notch wrench and yet he still was kind enough to say that all the fabrication blew him away.
He's using it as it was meant to be. Feeding on unsuspecting Roadrunners. :yes:
And thanks for the complement.

C-body clutch & pedal assemblies are near possible to find. Plus, there are two different ones. One for manual brakes and one for power brakes. They are out there but it's going to take persistant searching of eBay and the For Sale sections of all the Mopar C-body forums. Asking for one under Parts Wanted should be done. You're also going to need the bracket that is WELDED to the subframe that the Z-bar is connected to. You do that and the rest will be a piece of cake. The hump for the transmission tunnel to accomodate the shifter is avaialble new from one source and one source only. Add that to your inventory immediately. You have to have it.
Forget about finding any of the stuff you need at a yard. Picked clean down to the bone long ago. The A833 4 speed tranny you need are around 1000 bucks rebuilt. You want a rebuilt one because they are 50 years old. Craigslist is a good source of the 4 speeds of used ones for around 3-5 hundred bucks.

Commando, can you tell what that one source only is? I am doing the swap from 3 speed column to 4 speed floor and all I can find is a B Body tunnel. I am told the hump is the same on top but may require minor floor pan mods to get it just right.

Also while we're talking, any tips on finding a floor shift sterring column for manual steering?

Thanks

Placed the order today with Rick. Thanks commando1 for that hot tip. Was all set to make a B Body hump work until I saw your post. I love this stuff.

For the column that sounds like a good plan. Did you also remove the linkage levers at the bottom?

Placed the order today with Rick. Thanks commando1 for that hot tip. Was all set to make a B Body hump work until I saw your post. I love this stuff.

For the column that sounds like a good plan. Did you also remove the linkage levers at the bottom?

Really happy you went with the correct hump.
I didn't remove the linkage because I needed them to keep the collar from rotating loosely.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Back