66 Newport

ReputatheBeauta66

Reaction score
Having electrical issues - replaced battery - altenator - voltage regulator. Now power supply is is jumping up and down. definitely seen an increase before regulator, but major swings in juice supplied. One suggestion was to check all my grounds - now need to find all five them.

Other technically competent people should pipe in here but I've been told that there should always be a very good ground from the right rear of the block to the firewall. On the Polara I've also noticed that in additon to the battery ground to the block there's a secondary ground to the left fender. Not sure if that's stock or a later addition.

Did you install a factory type regulator or a electronic one? the original equipment type have contact points that have to be adjusted (bent ) inorder to open & close properly. I had the same problem with my 69 Monaco, at a steady speed, my guage would jump up & down. I fixed this by installing an after market electronic regulator. I bought it on ebay for a very reasonable price. It looks exactly like the original but is electronic & works like a charm. I can try to find the seller if you want. Let me know. Laurence

The same exact thing happened to me in my '66 Charger. If the voltage regulator, alternator, and body to block grounds are good then make sure all your electrical accessories are fuses. I'm guessing you have an AMP gauge that keeps jumping around bettween the "D" and "C." This is a current gauge. When the needle is do the left of the middle mark (closer to the "D") this means that the accessories and engine are drawing current FROM the battery. When the needle is to the right of the middle mark (closer to the "C") this means that the alternator is supplying current TO the battery and the accessories. The needle should be in the middle or just to the right of the middle. When the gauge is at the "C" it means that the alternator is struggling to provide enough current to the battery and the electrical system. The alternator is working at near max. This could happen if you have a pos 12 wire touching a ground with no resistance. This means currnet is infinite and the wire will become the only resistance and can get hot and the coating will melt off..
Next time it happens: Can you smell something burning? Try to trace it. Does the gauge drop to "D" (die)? If it's night do your head lights sometimes surge bright to dim? This will quickly destroy your voltage regulator.

Fratzog - monaco69 - vintagetin:

Thanks for your replies - Was hoping joining this site would pay off.
monaco69 - I didn't know about the electronic VR - I purchased what I believe was a factory part - just went to O'Riely's and bought the more expensive one thinking don't need to keep replacing it. Had no problem for the first nine months I owned my ride, so I would think the ground issue can't be it. I will search for an electronic one and ask around at my local MOPAR club if anyone knows about "adjusting" the contact points.

Back