66 Polara Tilt/Telescopic Issues

b_t426

Reaction score
Hi from Australia

Can anyone fill me in on the correct procedure for removing the steering wheel on my American 66 Polara with the tilt/telescopic column.

I tried and failed to remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller, it appears to be seized or I have missed something. After putting it back together the telescopic part now wont lock after I tightened up the locking ring.

I've searched for a service manaul for the column but am not having much luck. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

The locking ring has several sets of holes to line up with the 3 screw holes in the actual locking mechanism flange bolt - this is the bolt with the great big flange that screws into the centre of the column. The big flange bolt needs to be put on AFTER the locking ring is in place, and tightened up until it nearly bottoms out against the locking ring. Use a pair of medium needle nose pliers to tighten it up so that the telescoping is just engaging. Then find the 3 best holes to line up with the locking ring so that you still have another 1/4 turn to the right to allow it to tighten down enough to lock the column from telescoping. If you don't have the flange bolt turned in far enough, then it takes more than a 1/4 turn, and the spokes of the locking ring prevent it from turning that far. It's a bit fiddly, but it works.

As well, if the long hardened steel 3/16ths rod that hides in the centre of the column managed to fall out, then the column will not lock the telescoping function. The flange bolt presses down onto this rod as it threads inside the column shaft, and the rod presses against the locking clutches deep inside the column. No rod, no lock.

To pull the wheel you have remove the horn ring too I believe, as well as you have to remove all the parts associated with the telescope locking ring and flange bolt to be able to remove the steering wheel. Sometimes the steering wheel puller isn't properly centred in the column, and that will impart a tilt to the force you're putting on the splines to pull the wheel off. Try making sure it's dead straight, tighten it up, and try a few taps with a decent hammer around the spline area. Be careful, as it can come off with a fair amount of force.

I've tried to attach a picture of the page from the parts catalogue. I hope it works, and I hope this helps.
TILE TELE COLUMN.jpg

Thanks Ross

Would it be possible that the wheel has come away a little bit and jammed and now that is why when I tighten the flange bolt it is not reaching the rod to press on it? Either that or do you know how long that flange bolt thread would be, perhaps it is broken and I have some of the flange bolt stuck in the column hence no lock?

Git it sorted thanks mate. Poor quality puller had just cocked the steering wheel on the angle,bit of a tap and better puller and we are all good. Just hope everything works when it goes back together.

The wheel has a few cracks and a couple of gaps in the plastic so going to get them repaired and sprayed in 2pac so didn't want to do it in the car.

Cool - I was wondering if your were trying to get at the turn signal stuff - and half of it is not under the wheel but at the bottom of the column.

Cheers!

Back