66 to 68 trans hump

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
I converted a 66 to 69 b body hump into a 66 to 68 c body hump.
I have a original c body hump and a floor pan for mock up. These 2 things make it quite simple.
Trying to convert a B into a C by the seat of the pants would be task.
I set the c body hump in place and put a line with a sharpie around it. Then modified the b hump to fit.
This picture shows how much needs to be added to the rear area
The left side needs to be trimmed.
The right side is pretty well ok except for the front.

20191211_152108.jpg

This picture shows the front.
I had to add a wedge in the top.
also make a new front. The original is curved. I used a flat piece.
There is aprox 3 to 4 inch of the B body hump that I left alone. Easy to see in the lower front.

20191211_152136.jpg

Last edited:
Cool beans - but how many are going to go to that trouble when they already have one??? I understand the concept of doing it since so many say it can't be done, but still....... :poke:
:canada::thumbsup:

I"m very glad to see this post. I for one will go to the trouble since my 68 was a 3spd column shift. Therefore I have the pedals but not the correct floor.
The fact somebody before me torched the floor up to attempt a floor shift conversion notwithstanding...
My plan all along was to modify the B body hump but I did not know just where it needed modifying. Now I do!
Of course this all depends on my finishing some other things before I even think of starting another project.

Very cool!! Thank you for taking the time to figure this out and post pics of what is needed, this will help out a lot of individuals who are willing to cut and melt a bit of metal to get the desired outcome. :thumbsup:

I would recommend waiting a little longer. Ponomamissel is fairly close to stamping these c body humps.
I have a order in for 2 stamped humps. They will be thicker and a perfect fit.
Yea I did it because it was said it couldn't be done.
One thing I need to add is if converting a b body hump the hole for the shifter needs to be in the right place. A c body hump fits the contour of the floor pan and you know exactly where it goes.
I would install the trans to determine were shifter is and work around that.
I paid 160 plus shipping for the b body hump. Then 4 hours to modify.
In my opinion it would be cheaper to buy a stamped hump.

Another thing to consider is console or no console.
If no console, it needs to be a done neatly so a molded 4 spd carpet fits the hump.
If console, then there is some wiggle room since the hump is hidden.

Yes I am aware of the upcoming reproduction parts, but have not heard any updates in months so am not so sure they are coming or not.
If the repro hump does come available I agree that is probably the way to go.
If I do end up modifying, I will most definitely install the engine and trans to see exactly where the shifter needs to be before cutting and welding. Like I mentioned a previous owner cut a hunk out of the floor to put a floor shifter on the 3speed. I may need to do some fixing anyhow. Its a significant hole!

Back