'66 Trunk Light switch

darth_linux

Reaction score
My trunk light switch doesn't pop up and the turn the light on when I open the trunk. If I move the switch up manually, the light turns on. Am I missing a spring or something, or do I need a new switch?

ALSO - is there supposed to be some sort of reflector behind the bulb to direct the light down, or is it just the bulb sitting in a socket?

thanks!

The "switch" is basically the same type of switch mechanism that is used for the door jams. The trunk lid holds the circuit open when in the closed position. This light is always "hot" - ie has power. If not adjusted correctly, your light can be on when the lid is closed and drain your battery. Below is a photo of my 67 Fury. Note, there is not a reflector on the bulb. I had mine "for show" and could use it. I put an insulation material at the base of the bulb as not to have a battery drain down.

1675300737416.png

Trunk.JPG

The "switch" is basically the same type of switch mechanism that is used for the door jams. The trunk lid holds the circuit open when in the closed position. This light is always "hot" - ie has power. If not adjusted correctly, your light can be on when the lid is closed and drain your battery. Below is a photo of my 67 Fury. Note, there is not a reflector on the bulb. I had mine "for show" and could use it. I put an insulation material at the base of the bulb as not to have a battery drain down.

View attachment 579987

View attachment 579994
cool! Mine closes correctly and turns the light off, but doesn't "pop up" and turn the light on when you open the trunk, so I'm guessing what ever spring mechanism is "inside" the switch has failed. I might try to craft some little light deflector/reflector out of foil just to direct light down instead of up.

There is an internal spring in that switch to pop the center section upward with the trunk lid open a bit to turn on the light.

On our '66 Newport Town Sedan, the bracket holding the switch is horizontal, not angled. The switches were used for a few model years, as I recall. A simple ground switch.

CBODY67

There is an internal spring in that switch to pop the center section upward with the trunk lid open a bit to turn on the light.

On our '66 Newport Town Sedan, the bracket holding the switch is horizontal, not angled. The switches were used for a few model years, as I recall. A simple ground switch.

CBODY67
I saw the one on eBay - I wonder if I can take mine apart and fix the spring . . .

Not aware if its is fixable. It would need a new spring, but not sure where you might find one, IF you could. Switch replacement is the best alternative, all things considered.

My trunk light switch doesn't pop up and the turn the light on when I open the trunk. If I move the switch up manually, the light turns on. Am I missing a spring or something, or do I need a new switch?

ALSO - is there supposed to be some sort of reflector behind the bulb to direct the light down, or is it just the bulb sitting in a socket?

thanks!
Is the plunger gunked up so that it doesn't pop up when it's open? That switch is pushin 60 years old and may need some help/cleaning. Shoot some WD on it and see if you can't work it loose.
No, no reflector, just bulb & socket. Good Luck

Is the plunger gunked up so that it doesn't pop up when it's open? That switch is pushin 60 years old and may need some help/cleaning. Shoot some WD on it and see if you can't work it loose.
No, no reflector, just bulb & socket. Good Luck
Use light machine oil. WD-40 is not oil and turns to gum! Marvel Mystery Oil or sewing machine oil.

buy a new switch and quit wasting peoples time. or tie a string to the trunk with it fully open then fasten it to the top of the switch. when you open the trunk fully magic will happen and when you close it it will happen again.

buy a new switch and quit wasting peoples time. or tie a string to the trunk with it fully open then fasten it to the top of the switch. when you open the trunk fully magic will happen and when you close it it will happen again.
Wasting peoples time?!? Really?!? Asking a question is a waste of peoples time? I thought the purpose of this forum was to share collective wisdom and steer new members in the right direction. How about not wasting your time writing silly replies to something you’re not interested in. Just keep scrolling.

Are you really that anal that it matters what used in this case? Geez!
Having a bad hair day are we! Would seem that maybe you should spray some of that "magic" between your years to improve your disposition! Good Grief, don't you have something better to do than hurl insults?

Something else you can try is to give it a shot of brake cleaner and see if that doesn't de-gunk it, or you can remove it and soak it in some lacquer thinner for a bit and then take a old toothbrush to it. This is a simple problem and doesn't need rocket science ideas to get it to work. If the internal spring truly is broken, then you'll need a new plunger. Good Luck

I didn't delete ****, and I still stand by my comment that was deleted
where did little stubby guys comment go about ******* canooks? cant find it. thought it was here.
I'm sure your butthurt *** reported it to the powers that be about it!

I didn't delete ****, and I still stand by my comment that was deleted

I'm sure your butthurt *** reported it to the powers that be about it!
For the good of the forum, you should go chase cars on a two lane, high speed highway. This forum is for people to share ideas, give and receive help, share interests, all of which appear to be your lacking. Surely you can find a controversial political forum which would readily satisfy your antagonistic nature while at the same time be a benefit to the members of this forum by lack of your presence!

Back