66 what is this

Ralph Johnson

Reaction score
Trying to identify what this is it is in place of a coil I know the car has electronic ignition. Would this cause a parasitic draw after the cars sits for a couple of days. I do have a kill switch on the negative side of battery. I have tested all fuses and could not determine what was causing the draw. I will be placing the alternator and was wondering if I should replace this item also and if so where can I get this part.
COIL1.jpg

Trying to identify what this is it is in place of a coil I know the car has electronic ignition. Would this cause a parasitic draw after the cars sits for a couple of days. I do have a kill switch on the negative side of battery. I have tested all fuses and could not determine what was causing the draw. I will be placing the alternator and was wondering if I should replace this item also and if so where can I get this part.
View attachment 493372
Probably a CD ignition from years ago. I bet @halifaxhops knows what it is.

Possibly has a "Judson" nameplate/tag on it somewhere? Definitely an early CD (capacitive discharge) elecronic ignition from the earlier 1960s, as I recall, IIRC.

Just speculation,
CBODY67

Early cd. If it has constant batt power it can definitely be your draw. Dump it either way. I can add it to my weird ignition collection if you are going to toss it.

Last edited:
Early cd. If it has constant batt power it can definitely be your draw. Dump it either way. I can add it to my weird ignition collection if you are going to toss it.
In stalled a new alternator but it doesn't seem to be charging. Not sure how to replace the CD. Would I have to change out the distributor or can i just. put on a regulator coil the car doesn't have a voltage regulator I assume it is built into the alternator.

Those earlier capacitive discharge ignitions still used, as I understand it, the orig ignition points to trigger the system. With less voltage going through them, they tended to last longer, but the rubbing block on the point set would still wear, as would the breaker cam that the point set rubbed against.

Need to remove the CD item and see if it has any identifying markings as to who made it. Then, hopefully, you can look online for an installation instructions document. Or re-wire the ignition back to factory specs, as indicated in the FSM.

Most CD's that I have come across basically wire in just like a condenser in the distributor, most even want the OEM one removed.

Back